I am 36 weeks today and saw the doctor

and he felt down there and said I wasn't dilated yet, but the baby has dropped and he said I have about two weeks. What does that even mean?????

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It means exactly what he said: You aren't dialated, the baby has dropped, and you have a couple weeks before you give birth. What part of that is confusing???

you don't have to be rude maybe it is her first baby so she doesnt really understand what he meant. have a heart.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• that your baby has dropped down into your pelvic region and you aren't dialated yet you still have some time before the baby is born. dropped means getting ready for birth.
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• why didnt you ask your doctor that when you were there?
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• it means your baby has droped into your pelvic area to prepare for labor and delivery and that you arnt dialted and shouldnt deliver anytime soon how ever that is just a guess. things can change very fast. with my first son i was 39wks and baby hadnt droped and i wasnt dialted they told me it was going to be a while well needless to say i ended up in the hospital later that night with contractions and my son was born the next morning.
    Anonymous

• Well i don't think anyone can predict how long it will take.. Some babies don't drop at all before labor and you don't have to be dilated for labor to start either.
    I'm not sure what you want to know.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Some of you are so mean! I hope karma dishes it right back to ya!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree...its a lot to understand when it's a first baby (if it is her first) sometimes you dont think to ask things when maybe you should..im having my first and sometimes i dont always remember or think to ask my doc things, it can be overwhelming! if people here cant support others and be a little more understanding then why even be a member on this site?
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If your Dr. did a vaginal exam and said you have dropped, but he says he gives you 2 weeks, I would have to say that your cervix hasn't stared to thin out yet. You'll know when you get closer! Try to keep a list of questions you might think of for your Dr. at your next visit, that always helped me thru my 3!
    traci328

Answer by traci328 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• He may be thinking that because your baby dropped it will be putting more pressure on your cervix which will make you deliver a little before your due date. Especially if your cervix was soft when he checked you. Congratulations! I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow...totally jealous! lol
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2009