5 month old getting up too many times a night, advice please!

My 5 month old was sleeping up to 6 hrs straight about 2 months ago and now she is getting up soooo much. And its not really even to eat! last night I laid her down at 9 she was up at 12:30 ate about 2oz. Fell back asleep until 1:30, ate 4oz. Back to sleep, up again at 3:00 ate 6oz. Slept till 5:45 ate another 6oz. Up again at 7:40 ate 6oz. Then slept till 8:30. I've tried giving her the binki but she just gets mad and starts crying harder so I have to get her a bottle so she doesn't wake her sister. I don't feel its necessary she eat this much!! I even give her dinner (peas/sweet potato etc) with a bottle after right before bed.... How is she wanting to eat so much when i'm filling her up right before bed!!Should I just give her the binki and if she still cries, just let her put herself back to sleep? Should I rock her back to sleep without the bottle?? This is tiring and getting ridiculous lol

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She might be going through a growth spurt. Babies grow a lot, especially in the first year. If you are concerned then address this with her Pediatrician.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• OMG. She is FIVE months old. She needs to be eating as often as she wants, as much as she wants at this point. If she is waking up at night to eat, she is probably going through a growth spurt and NEEDS that nutrition to grow at this point. Babies don't overeat for fun or to irritate you at night. They eat often because they NEED to eat often.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• She is five months old! Some babies don't sleep through the night until at least 2 years. I know that isn't what you want to hear. :)

She very well could be going through a growth spurt. It sounds like what all my babies did when getting ready for a growth spurt. They wake up throughout the night to nurse for a little bit - which increases my milk supply. You're not nursing, but it makes sense that an infant would still respond that way.

I would lay off the solids too!! From 6 - 12 months solids are only for practice. An infants main nutrition needs to come from breastmilk or formula. Solids are not intended to fill them up. They rely mostly on that liquid!! Keep feeding her - I promise she will start sleeping again soon.

We expect a newborn to be up a lot then slowly sleep more. But they repeat that - this is probably the first of several more times of waking up again through the night. Hang in there
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Its just so different for me because my oldest was sleeping through the night at 5 months so I guess I just expected the same lol but like I said, she doesn't always get up to eat. She will get up and we give her the binki and sometimes she goes back to sleep but most times not. Idk y she would only take a couple Oz if she was really hungry enough to wake up ya know? Thanks micheledo for answering my concerns without being rude about it.
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• My first born was waking up constantly at 10 months or so. The only thing that would get him back to sleep was nursing him. But he would fall back to sleep IMMEDIATELY and barely nurse. And then he would be up an hour later. We finally figured out he was super tired and super hungry. Sleep always won out. :) I started giving him a bottle after nursing him to make sure he was completely full right at bedtime. Then I would get him up when I went to bed and nurse him again.

I don't know if that is what did it or if he just 'outgrew' that stage. But he did eventually settle down and only wake up when he was hungry enough to eat his fill before going back to sleep.

I would skip the binky the first couple times she gets up and go straight for the bottle. Maybe she will drink more and stay asleep longer. The binky might settle her, but then she wakes up later still hungry and then it gets to the point . . .
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• . . . she is super tired so when the bottle is offered she only drinks an ounce or two.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud and guessing. :D Keep trying things. Maybe even increase her ounces in the bottle during the day - just an ounce or two to see if she drinks more.

Our oldest had SUCH an appetite. He drank and ate well more then is the norm. But he also grew a lot! Good luck figuring it out.

And - take a moment at least one of those sleepless night to enjoy your precious little girl. I know it is so crazy when you are exhausted and sick of being up - but soon she won't be that little bundle in your arms that needs you so much (and I know you know that). Enjoy the craziness - at least once! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Whenever a new baby is born, you have to toss out all your remembrances of the last one. Except for your best diapering techniques!

Consider NOT giving solids before bed; solids tend to wake baby rather than make baby sleep because her tummy has to work too hard to process them.

That said... her sleep pattern is quite normal. And defense against SIDS. I'm afraid your elder child had the uncommon pattern!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Lol! Well thanks ladies :-) funny story actually lol I decided last night I would put her in get crib now instead of the cradle and she only got up twice AND slept till ten! I think maybe she was waking cuz she wanted to stretch out and needed more room! Plus she is in her own room so my hubbys alarm clock doesn't wake her either! it totally makes sense about the solids before bed! Ill up her oz. in formula instead! Thanks ladies!!
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• try to soothe and then let her fuss
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2014