• In the Spotlight:

What would you do in this situation?

I have a 7 month old. Dad is not consistently active in the baby's life and will go sometimes 2 weeks in between visits. He wants to take the baby overnight. I told him the baby was too little and has never been away from me overnight. He asked when. What do you think/suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest that he starts coming around regularly so the child can get used to his father. Once you think the child is comfortable with him start slowly with him taking the baby for a few hours, and gradually up the amount of time which he spends time with him untill you feel its right before he takes his child over night. You know what's best for the baby right now if he doesn't come around often.
    traci328

Answer by traci328 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would tell him you can't give him a specific time because you don't know when your son will be ready. So just say when he is ready. My son started to sleep through the night around 1 year old and also be ok without me. He wakes up and just makes a noise to let me or anyone else known he needs us and thats it. Thats the point I would wait for to let my son go overnight.

However I wouldn't do anything you are not comfortable with, especially if his consistency is in question. That is me though.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i agree with the PP.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• when you're ready for it, and you think your baby is dont let him pressure you if you havnt been seperated from him for a night yet cuz it isnt easy!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I'd let him take him out for a few hours, if you're comfortable with that to see how he does with it. I couldn't let him take him overnight if he never hardly sees him otherwise. I'd have a hard time with that, but it's all up to your judgement. You know him better than any of us do.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't leave him the baby at that age. Maybe until the baby is a little older and understands that both of you don't live together. And you're baby's dad needs to understand too.

sweetmommy137

Answer by sweetmommy137 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I say when you feel confident he knows what he is doing, and he is more around the baby. The baby may cry from being separated from you, and i think i'd feel the same way if i wasnt with my son.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009