How do I ask my mom to move out?

My mom moved in with me and my husband a couple of months ago and at first it seemed like a good idea but lately things haven't been going so well. When she first moved in she said she would help with the rent but then she lost her job and wasn't able to help out. Now she won't even look for a job. Lately she's been going out and bringing guys back to the house late at night, drunk, and we can hear them having sex! I just had a baby a month ago, we really don't need this. I talked to her about having guys over, and dropped hints of her moving out but she doesn't seem to get it. how can I get her to move? I'm trying to raise a new baby not my mother.

lotus13926

Asked by lotus13926 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Relationships

• A three day or quit... you have three days to pay rent in full or relenquish her room. Or just flat out or shape up or kick rocks!!
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 4:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• She isn't getting to take a hint because she has no where else to go. You have to be blunt and let the chips fall where they may. Tell her you love her, but you have _______ months to move out. I'll help you look for apartments if you want. No guys are allowed in our house or you will be asked to leave immediately. Good luck.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Is this for real?? YOu have a brand new baby in the house, and she's bringing strangers into the home??? If that's the truth, you need to stop it NOW!!! Tell her the behavior will stop as of this moment, or you will call the police on these men, and have them removed. There is no way I'd allow strangers into my home with my children, especially a newborn baby!! Then, Id address the rent.... Thats a whole 'nother issue...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• She has to go in plain and simple language she has to get out! Who knows who she is bringing home and the danger you could be in ? Take it serious and understand she is not worried about you and your family. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Tell her that you want her to find an place to go and give her X amount of time. Tell her there will be no more "guests" allowed in your home or you will have the lock change immediateley
    When time is up change the locks.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• What has she said about moving out?
    Is she receiving unemployment? can you and your husband help her get into a hotel for a week or two
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Wow I was reading this and thinking no way would I ever kick my mother out then I got to the rest of your post and I was shocked. I would talk with her. When she is sober, you and your husband together and get her to understand that there can e no drinking and no strangers/men in your house under any circumstances. Also, have her call 211 and find out what job training programs are available, what transitional housing is available, see what services she qualifies for and ave her register for work force.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• It's not quite as easy as telling her to get out. Once you allow a person into your home to be used as their home and they get mail there then they are a tenant (even if they pay no rent). Which means legally you have to evict her. Hopefully she will not be a problem but she sounds like she may have plans to be there for a while. Maybe she doesn't know her tenant rights. Then you could take advantage of that ignorance and simply tell her "this isn't working out. I love you but you need to find your own place so you can have your privacy." Sometimes if you make it about them it doesn't sound so bad. She's taking advantage of your kindness. She should be on unemployment and helping financially not mooching off you. So just sit down with her and talk with her. Keep it simple and be firm. Hugs.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Wow, that is awful. First of all, it's your house and your rules. You just have to be honest with her, tell her you don't want to hear her having sex ever again (geez, traumatizing!) and that she needs to find a job b/c you need your home back and can't support her. Good luck!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2012