5 yr old with a loose top front tooth

My 5yr old DS fell when he was 2 and busted his mouth badly. 1 tooth turned colors and the other was ok. Dentist told us that his dead tooth would be fine and to leave it be, that it would just be discolored.

Fast forward to 3 years later and the tooth beside the discolored tooth is very loose. He has a dentist appointment for Monday but I need a little peace of mind for the weekend. He can still eat normal, doesn't complain of it hurting and this will be his first lost tooth so he's just a little freaked out. It could possibly fall out this weekend. Is any of this normal? Should I be worried?

VanessaMomof2

Asked by VanessaMomof2 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds normal to me. I don't remember how old my kids were when they started losing teeth, but I don't think 5 is too young. Plus, it's been 3 years. I would think if it was a problem due to the fall, it would have manifested long before this - I could be wrong, but I think it's just a normal loose tooth. The Tooth Fairy better get ready!! :)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• All kids lose their teeth at different paces. Typically it is the bottom that go first, but not always. I honestly wouldn't wast the copay for a tooth that will fall out in the next few weeks. I have a kid that had a loose tooth for almost 3 mos before it came out. She wouldn't mess with it and it took FOREVER to fall out on its own.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• my son lost his first tooth when he was five.. he should be fine! :)
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Normal and fine. Don't need a dentist appointment for a basic loose tooth. If he's that freaked by it, use a tissue and yank it. My DDs all lost their top teeth first - DS is the first to have a bottom tooth loose first.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Sounds normal to me.
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Normal, my son lost a top tooth first when he was 5.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Sounds normal to me
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• I think I'm mostly concerned that its the top tooth. I've always heard the bottoms are the first to go. Am I over-reacting? If so, I wont waste the co-pay!
    VanessaMomof2

Comment by VanessaMomof2 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• My DD is 6-1/2 and her first top front just came out less than a month ago and her other isn't far behind. Pretty normal I would say...I
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2012