My 5 year old daughter refuse to go to school , what shall I do ?

My 5 year old daughter refuse and cling onto me when it is time to go to school , what should I do ?

Patricia_star

Asked by Patricia_star at 2:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2012 in

• Take her to school anyways since its required unless she's homeschool, but try to find out why she doesn't want to go to school. If the reason is behind her being attached to mommy, then just have her accept the fact that mommy is not going to be around 24-7 her whole entire life and that she needs to learn independence.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• The law states she has to go to school. You are not going to break the law and neither is she. Period. You are the adult and you take her and that is that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• but that's not true, Louise. she DOESN'T have to go to school in order to learn things.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I'd find out why she doesn't want to go, first. Sometimes the reason they don't want to go is a super simple fix - like one of the moms above suggested, maybe she's just cold or hates the food. Easy fixes there. Even if it's a harder fix, like not liking the teacher or being bullied, it's still something you can try to resolve.

Worst case scenario, it can be resolved or she has no real reason - then you just have to be a mom and make her do it. It'll suck for a while, for both you and her. But she has to go to school, unless you want to homeschool (which I do), so if it comes to this, I'd just look at it as the first in a long line of those things you have to make her do even though neither of you really wants to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Talk to the school. Maybe the principal or someone else can meet you and they can take her in. Also give her a family photo or a picture of a family pet for her to hold on to for the day.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• id ask her why she doesnt want to go...but i would make her go like louise said pull her off of you...also i would explain to her how much fun shell have and all the new friends shell make when she goes! and how if she doesnt go she wont make friends ..that usually works for my dd
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 6:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• This is what I would do. I would pull her aways from me. And tell her. You have to go to school like all the other kids. So you can learn things.
    You might want to ask her too. Why she doesn't want to go to school.

Answer by louise2 at 6:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Point out all of the fun things there is to do at school - making new friends, playgrounds, making crafts, having fun in art and music classes. Offer her a reward at the end of the day if she stays in school and behaves. She needs something to look forward to so she can start associating good things with going to school. Think of something she likes to do, play, or eat and maybe put it on a Reward Calendar so she can see what to look forward to each day, kind of a like an advent calendar. Also, make sure you understand what she doesn't like about going to school. I used to not like to go because it was just plain cold in the building and the food was awful and kept throwing up from it. Had my parents bundled me up better and packed me food instead, it would have made school less painful at that age.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• What do you think you should do>
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2012