Can you believe this?

A friend of mine called me today and told me that her sister's baby died. She was 6 months pregnant and there was something wrong with her placenta, so the drs said that had to take the baby by c-section to give him any kind of chance. Well, they did, but he died after two days. She says her sister isn't really even crying and it said it's better off, because she couldn't afford a baby anyway. OH MY GOD! You think that part is bad, this is worse. Then, she says she looked into it and she will be able to claim him on her taxes next year? Is that the most awful thing ever? She doesn't even have his ashes back and she is already planning on USING him to make a buck!!! What a heartless (&)(^*&^%(*&^(*&^!!! Even if I could have claimed my baby, I NEVER would have . . . how can you profit from the death of your baby????? I just can't believe it. She never deserved that baby!!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This is aweful..... maybe she is distrought... but i agree for the baby not to even been gone for that long and she is talking money...maybe it was best...sounds like she would have just used it for a paycheck anyway
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Unless you've lost a child like this, you are in no place to judge her. Grief affects everyone differently, and she was probably still in shock.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's trying to detach from the situation. It will probably hit her at a later date.
    Anonymous

• She cant claim her on taxes! And yes that is soooo sad! this post gave me tears!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the anon 710 grief does affect everyone differently. I do think it's terrible what she said about the taxes though. Maybe one day when she sees a mommy in a store with their baby, it'll hit her. she may just break down because maybe she's trying to bottle it all up. On the other hand it may not affect her, everyone handles their emotions in different ways.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Umm ANON . . . I did lose a child at 6 months pregnant so I know EXACTLY what she SHOULD be going through. Unless you know what you're talking about . . . . keep your comments to yourself. I NEVER would have ever said "it's better this way" about losing my baby. That's just awful.

My friend always talks about her sister never caring about anything. She thinks there something wrong with her. How could she say that it's better this way, because she couldn't afford a baby anyway. She should be using bc if she knows she can't take care of a baby.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree with the first reply. My first thought was that she has taken on this callous attitude as a way of coping with this horrible event. She is feeling so many emotions, sadness, anger, guilt, and probably doesn't know what the hell to do with it all. This may just be her own defense mechanism talking. I went through a very similar situation and I really think you are out of your mind for a little while afterwards.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 7:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The guy she is with isn't the father, so I guess that was a problem for them. I hope she never has children, because she was more worried about calling and hanging out with her man than going to check on the baby in the Nicu. One of those moms that choose their man over their children.

And even if she was in shock, getting money NEXT year for income taxes should be the last thing on her mind.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• She may be trying to think about next year because right now is such a painful place to be she can't stand it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think that's horrible to be so detached to think the baby was better off dead. I don't think she knows what she's saying or doing right now. I think she may be on auto pilot and just going through the motions and saying whatever she can to make herself feel better about the situation. People do that. I hope and pray that when it does hit she doesn't do anything stupid, she needs support even if her comments are heartless.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 7:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009