Preventing canker sores?

Every time I accidentally bite the inside of my mouth I get a canker sore. Is there anything I can do to prevent them?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2012 in Health

• There is reason to believe that certain types of bacteria and/or viruses are responsible for the painful mouth sores. Canker sores are not contagious and are not related to the herpes simplex virus, also known as cold sores.
    Canker sores are caused by:
    •Injuries to the mouth, as seen frequently by contact sports players. Accidentally biting the inside of the cheek or lip may also result in a canker sore
    •Temperature hot food or drink may cause a canker sore in the area of the mouth that was essentially burnt by the offending substance
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Taking L-Lysine can prevent sores in the mouth.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• I agree with JJK. Lysine can be really helpful. It's pretty cheap and you can get it most anywhere now; Walmart, Target, Walgreens.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Or gargle with Milk of Magnesia it coats the injured area and heals quickly

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2012