DS has been throwing up for 2 weeks now. What can we give him or do?

DS was sick since Sun, 18th Nov. It started out as coughing with runny nose a couple of days he ran a slight fever. Since that Tues he's been getting up between 1-5 a.m. vomiting. Most of it was some of what he had for dinner and a lot of phlegm. Took him Mon 25th to his dr, who did a quick exam,,, like listening to his chest, checked his ears & throat and suggested that we continue to just watch in and let the cold take it's course. Since he wasn't congested there was no concern. I called back on Wed and was told the same thing.

It's pretty much the same thing for the past 2 weeks. The last couple of mornings he'll get a glass of water or apple juice and with in an hour he's in the bathroom. He's had diarrhea too. All of these symptoms I told and explained to his pediatrician and was told as long as he's getting fluids to prevent dehydration not to worry. What else can we do? It's painful for anyone to spit up let alone a almost 5yo. We give him light meals so as not to have anything heavy on his stomach. The whole house was sick at one point but he's pretty much the one that has remained sick. Does this have anything to do with the reflux from when he was 1st born? He hasn't had a reflux since he was months old.

The dr office will reopen on Mon and I'm calling again but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2012 in Kids' Health

• How old is he?

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• he is 5
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• one, stop giving him apple juice. Two put him on the BRAT diet. Bananas rice, applesauce, toast. Look it up for more foods.
    3. have him take small sips of water not drink a bunch at a time. Soft light meals.
    Last seek a 2nd opinion from another doctor
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• ginger drinks help too you can get them at cvs wal greens and im sure walmart too...id get a 2nd opion too
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• OP stated he has diarrhea
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• I'd find a new doctor. Little kids can dehydrate easily, and after 2 weeks his doctor should be taking this more seriously.

Good luck, honey. It's so hard seeing our babies sick.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• If you can't find ginger ale or other drink with ginger in it, add 1/8 teaspoon ginger to 8 ounces of water or other liquid.

BRAT diet is also for when you can't keep other food down. It is meant to be soft and bland so as not to make tummy troubles worse.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• @lostsoul88 He's not a big apple sauce kid but loves like rice, pudding, jello. I do encourage him to take small sips of liquids. I mentioned the apple juice because that's what he asked for this morning. but he does do ginger ale.

@texasgurl33 it's especially hard when dh just cuts the bathroom light on and gives him a wet wash cloth to wipe his mouth. Where as I'll sit beside him and pat his back or wipe his face. Anything to comfort him since you can see the discomfort in his face.

Can't quite get a 2nd opinion when we have no med insurance right now and paid cash to see his ped. I looked into a "free clinic" but there wasn't anything really close to us. But I'll look again.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Not only can he dehydrate but throwing up all the time can damage his esophagus. Two weeks is way too long to be cavalier about this. Find another doc.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• I'd find a new doctor. This doesn't sound right and has to be traumatic for the child,

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2012