Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My ex-boyfriend filed a lawsuit for custody so he could get out of paying child support and he also belives im using my baby to get money from him i dont want his money i just want my baby what can do or say to keep sole physical custody

Answer Question

Asked by jnnfrprasch at 12:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Time to get an atty and file for sole/shared custody as well.

    Remember, it's his baby too. Time to put on your fighting gloves.

    He's your ex but he'll always be the daddy. Hopefully the two of you can work this out amicably for the child's sake.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • 1you need to get an atty 2 wright everything down if he picks up baby from 1-8 then wright it down if he misses a day he says hell pick up wright it down! judges pay attention to these things 3 try and relax most states favor mothers but like pp said their are sooo many factors in determining these things..good luck!


    Answer by rachel216 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • sole? Doubt it unless you can prove he is a danger to his child and even then its hard to get sole. He will not get sold either unless you can prove to be a danger.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • I shall never understand bio-fathers who think it will cost them less to have custody and not pay CS. They have to be a few pence short of a pound. Besides the financial point of view, don't they realize that a child takes a lot of time too?

    Start making a list of all the reasons why your child is happy with you and why it would be a bad idea to uproot him/her. Approach this with a positive attitude when it comes up before the judge - not positive about your ex, positive about how good a mother you are.

    As for the child support, you may not want it but it is not yours to refuse. It is paid for your child's upbringing and needs. If you don't need it right now, put it into an account for your child's education later. Trust me, when they're a student they'll need all the finances they can get!

    Good luck.

    Answer by winterglow at 1:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • unless he can prove you unfit then the most he would get it shared/joint custody.
    I woudl get a lawyer and be a sweet as you can in all your dealings with him, tell him you could care less about the money and if he can get a judge to dismiss it you will agree to it.

    it won't happen the judge will not do that most likely but then you have proven to him its not the money. Has he ever been granted a set visitation?

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • It's doubtful you will get sole custody unless you prove him unfit, but it's likely you will get primary physical and joint legal. I would take the child support. If you don't need it, put it in a college account for her. Having him help in the cost of raising his baby doesn't mean you love her any less.

    Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • Get an attorney and try not to worry about it too much. He will need to prove that you are unfit to raise your child. If you are not acting responsibly and taking care of your child you would need to worry some though. If you are taking care of your child and providing a safe and loving environment then you should be fine, but you will need representation. From here forth, I would insist on all communication be in writing ( email or text) so that you have his words and won't have to deal with hearsay. Keep a journal of when he contacts you via phone and what is said. Refrain from posting about him or your situation on social media. In simple terms, keep your wits and temper at bay and think about how things are going to look to a judge if it comes to that. And most imprtantly, if there is a court order, strictly abide by it. The last thing you need is a contempt charge. Good luck

    Answer by QuinnMae at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

  • he won't

    Answer by escuchar at 9:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2014

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.