Taming a smart mouth!

My preschooler is getting terribl snippy and belligerent lately. Short of duct tape, what can I do? I'm really getting fed up. I've asked her to resay what she wants to in a nice way. I've tried to explain how it feels to be talked to disrespectfully. I've ignored her. I've tried time-out. I've refused to give her things she asks for if the requests come with the smarty pants attitude that seems to be getting worse in the last month or so. Last night, I even resorted to picking up the phone and threatening to call Santa Claus, which worked for the moment but not for much longer than that. Any creative ideas I've missed?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I so feel you. My daughter, while I love her to no end, is stubborn, pig-headed, mulish, determined, bull-headed, will do it herself no matter what, can out stubborn a mule in her sleep, mouthy, defiant (not as bad as she gets older), smart as a whip, and JUST like her mother.

I KNOW it will do her good in 10+ years (she's 5), she and I are already butting heads. I just keep reminding myself that it will ALL pass, eventually.

Good luck Momma.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Yeah, you're using too many different methods. Smart mouthing tends to become a habit so you need to be firm and consistent with one method. You also need to constantly "remind" her about her tone. "Think about how you said that to me. Now, I want you to ask me again the way I've taught you"

Just keep doing that until she's out of the habit.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I'm sorry, I'm sitting here laughing so hard I crying because MY 5 year old does the same. damn. thing. and has, since she was about 4ish.

The most commonly repeated phrase for that in my house: I did not ASK you to argue with me, I TOLD you to do _________. Now DO IT.

If that doesn't work they get one warning then are forced to stand in the corner with their nose in the corner, stand against a wall with just their knees and nose touching, or they have to sit on an invisible chair. All done as one minute per year of age.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Pick one and be consistent. She will most likely give it up when she sees it makes things not go her way.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I'll tell you what too.....As annoying and frustrating as it is to have a young child mouthing off to you, it can be downright hilarious at other times. I shared this a while ago when it happened:

The family and I were at Subway ordering sandwiches for lunch. My son ordered his, no problem. It was my daughter's turn. (keep in mind she's only 5).

Me: (taps her on the head) What do you want?
    Her: (without a pause or missing a beat) A sandwich.

The little stinker didn't even blink or bat an eye. It was 100% matter of fact. EVERYONE that heard started laughing; silently so as not to encourage her, but still laughing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• does she go to preschool? My daughter came home from preschool trying that sassy stuff a couple of months ago, I reminded her that I dont care how other children speak at school, but she wasnt to......she was very quiet and because we dont talk like that at home, I knew thats where she was getting it from, im with the other ladies stick with one form of discipline, be consistant, and say what you mean and mean what you say!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Good luck with her attitude and she isn't even close to teen years yet. I feel for you. My way was old fashioned. The minute it came out of their mouth. I would say "What did you just say". If they had their nerve to say it again. they would get a spanking or a pop on the mouth.  If it was a refusal to do something I told them to do I would just inform them they will do it or not perks for that day.

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• lemon juice just a dab on your finger then to her tongue unless she likes it, works for my LOL
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Soap or a smack on the lips. She won't forget either quickly.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2012

• no smacking the child, no need for that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2012