Will this work?

Hopefully the first of many, or it's enough to get them all shut down, but the SPLC is involved in a suit charging a bible-based ex-gay conversion group with fraud.  Will this finally be enough to get all the abusers shut down?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I don't know, but I think it is a great first step! I think it will depend on the outcome.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• It won't be enough but it's a step in the right direction.

"Downing and other JONAH counselors also used techniques that left clients alienated from their families. These techniques encouraged clients to blame their parents for being gay, going so far as to have clients participate in violent role play exercises where they beat effigies of their mothers."

Un freaking believable
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I would hope that it shuts down some of the groups due to the fear of being sued. But, unfortunately fraud has been around in the church for decades, if not centuries, now.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• A person should seek therapy if they are uncomfortable with their sexuality for any reason. If you are a woman who is always attracted to the bad boy, for example. Or if you are chronically sexually unfaithful.... But this stuff ISNT therapy. It is creating for more issues than it is healing.... those poor participants. My heart hurts for them.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• The number one thing that will stamp out this nonsense is societal acceptance. When folks stop feeling marginalized they won't fall prey to charlatans offering a release from being an outsider.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• like others said, it's a start
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• i think a bigger step would be the pro-gay Christian side gaining more ground or attention, showing those who feel marginalized or treated as less than that not all Christians see them that way, and they needn't either. i think it would help take some of the pressure off, not that Christians have to approve homosexuality in order for them not to feel that way, just that i think it would help if instead of just judgment and prejudice they saw acceptance and actual love from Christians, if you get what i mean
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I think it's a start. And, am I the only one wondering how a disbarred attorney that has been convicted of fraud could even open a counseling center to begin with? And that "counseling" they were offering sounds to me like a perfect recipe for a closet gay to get his rocks off without anyone knowing a thing. Just saying.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• So we are going to blame Christians for this, when it is sponsored by those who are Jewish?

Anonymous

• I think eventually it will, we will see but like others said it is a start! humanity is seeing the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 6:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2012