Will this work?

Hopefully the first of many, or it's enough to get them all shut down, but the SPLC is involved in a suit charging a bible-based ex-gay conversion group with fraud.  Will this finally be enough to get all the abusers shut down?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Religious Debate

• i dunno why we're even talking about this, but the news article never says anything about the Jewish group using a Bible...that's NP's text. so you read NP's words and got your red flags from that, not the article.

if you think that the groups that do stuff like this couldnt be "real" Christian groups, watch "This is What Love In Action Looks Like". the ppl who ran the place were your average Christians and while no physical harm was done they did use shaming practices that psychologically do more harm than good. these programs are unhealthy and they are supported and run by actual mainstream Christian groups.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• And Jews don't call it a Bible they call it the Torah.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I do know what the Old Testament and the New Testament are. For the Christian they are combined into one book the Bible. For the Jewish Faith they do not believe that Jesus was born for their sins. They do not believe that he was God's son and do not believe in the New Testament. It is basically history to them. Therefore their Bible does not include the New Testament.

If someone claims to be Jewish and is using the New Testament as their basis it should set up alarms. Jews would qoute the Old Testament and not the New Testament.

If I was trolling I'd go anon. I'm not a troll and never have been. I state my opinion. Don't like it that's fine but don't accuse me of being a troll. They try to cause trouble on purpose which is something I don't try to do.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I read an interesting book not long ago by Amy-Jill Levine called The Jewish Annotated New Testament.

It explains how the writings of the New Testament have affected the relationships of the Jews and Christians over several thousand years.

As for your question NP, it is a start...
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Oh, and no one is saying all Christians, or all religious people condone violence against a group of people. What I think people are saying is that the attitudes of some very religious people regarding homosexuality is what leads SOME of these religious zealots to form these therapy groups.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• "It's a Jewish based group who uses the Bible????"

Ummmm... do I even bother explaining? It's called the Old Testament, hun. And btw... there are many Christian based groups like this out there where they do horrible things to people in order to "pray the gay away". It's considered by these groups to be therapy, but it's really just abuse.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• "It's a Jewish based group who uses the Bible???? Jews don't believe in the New Testament. That should set off alarms that these are not true Jews but a break away group. "

Wait. What?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• It's a Jewish based group who uses the Bible?

Are you trolling or do you actually not know what the Old Testament is?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• That's one of the problems I see right off the top of my head with this. It's a Jewish based group who uses the Bible???? Jews don't believe in the New Testament. That should set off alarms that these are not true Jews but a break away group. Also to use violence on a person is not coming from a Christian group. Again a break away group. They happen to give a bad name to others. Just as you have good and bad in any religion please don't judge us all by these hate groups.

New show coming out Amish Mafia...is this really the Amish or just a break away that is trying to give the Amish a bad name? We need to take each church or their own merits. You can't even say Catholic, Church of Christ, Muslim, etc because within each of them it depends on what they are teaching their congregation. I hate seeing everyone lumped into the same category. A church may disagree w/gay, etc but the majority wouldn't harm them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• lets hope so.

anon...while JONAH is a Jewish group the vast majority of ex-gay groups that use false & outdated psychology to shame ppl into thinking they are scum that have angered God are Christian based.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2012