DD's nose is bleeding and the doc hasn't called back.

* Called and left a message with the answering service but no call back yet.

DD is sick. Congestion with a cold. No fever. I've been treating it like I always do. Vaporizer and some vicks on her feet. Warm baths and some honey for the cough. She's 3 by the way.

Past 2 days there has been bleeding in her left nostril. No so heavy that I need to keep her still and hold tissue there until it stops. But when her nose is running, there is blood in it. When she sneezes and snot comes out heavily it is tinted with blood.

She says her nose doesn't hurt. But she has a trash bin full of blood tinted kleneex. It's only the one nostril and this is the first time is has ever happened...with any of my kids.

Advice?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Cool mist humidifier and tons of liquids. Heat is very drying in the winter. Also try some saline spray
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Sounds like a bad sinus infection, how long has it been since you left a message? You could always go to a childrens urgent care
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Sounds like she needs some moisture in the air. Do you have a vaporizer to put in her room?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• * The vaporizer is in her room blowing from the shelf in her closet. Sounds weird but it's the only way I can use it in her room without her being able to get close to it.

* About an hour I've been waiting. I'm definitely thinking of taking her in because I'm afraid it's gone from cold to infection.

* We're about 5 days in now. The bleeding started yesterday. I thought maybe she picked her nose because it was there, then it was gone. Now it's not going anywhere. For the past couple hours when I wipe her nose, there is blood.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Moisture?

A vaporizer or a humidifier.. I have both but I've been using the vaporizer.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• A humidifier will increase moisture in the home or room, so fun is right. It'll probably be a better choice.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Thank you ladies. Going to switch them out right now.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Have you tried a bit of Vaseline in the nostril? That can add moisture and stop the bleeding.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• No haven't tried Vaseline in her nostril. If it's safe and it works I'm willing to try it.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Sounds like she may have a small cut or broken open irritation in her nose from all the blowing. The ladies have given some wonderful suggestions for it (like the vaseline). I wouldn't worry to much if it's only the one nostril. I used to have blood in my snot when I was younger when I had a cold and blowing my nose alot. I also used to have really bad nose bleeds when the weather changed, so who knows. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2012