Military on-post housing inspections

Does anyone know the rules of how they are suppose to notify you and can they inspect your house everyday? (my husband and i are divorcing and his supirior officers are inspecting our house every day even without notice now. they have gone through our drawers, cabinets, and boxes im packing) please does anyone know what the exact rules are for them inspecting out housing

blairsmommy

Asked by blairsmommy at 7:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i live on a military base and have lived here since may. they have never inspected my house
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i dont believe they have to give you notice but i dont think they can go through your stuff. House inspection is mainly to make sure you arnt doing drugs in the home, or destroying the home. Id contact someone at the housing office and ask them what their guildlines are. when my husband and I lived on post they showed up whenever they wanted but never went through our stuff they just checked to make sure things worked and that we werent damaging the property.
    Anonymous

• I know they can basically come anytime they want. Do they come in when someone is there? They are basically covering his butt in the divorce to make sure nothing goes array. The courts favor the government employee over the civilians because the gov't has more creditablity. My sister-n-law and her ex are going through the same thing and he always has an NCO, SNCO, or Officer present and he even does this with anyone from her side of the family.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 7:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If something needs inspecting I am usually contacted prior. However, when we were doing a ditty move because our house was being demolished we constantly had people coming in to inspect the foundation, fixtures, and appliances (I suppose to see what could be salvaged and how difficult it would be to knock down the house). For PCSing usually there is a pre-inspection and then a final inspection (I would think that a divorce situation would be the same as a PCS). I would suspect that living on a military installation puts us at the mercy of the government. It technically isn't our house it is the governments and they can do what they wish with it. If they are entering your home without your consent then I see that being a problem. If you have questions, I would contact either your housing office or if you truly feel like they are in violation of something you may want to speak with your legal office.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yea they never inspected our house.. i have never even heard of something like this.... is it a bad divorce? maybe the hubs is trying to stir up things.. i dunno... thats weird... start asking questions
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would contact either your housing office or if you truly feel like they are in violation of something you may want to speak with your legal office.

This is the best advice, I agree.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• this isnt a bad divorce at all, if it was housing coming in fine and if there was a complaint im all good with that but before we filed we had never had an inspection on our housing except when we PCSed. my STBX is the one asking the questions because he thinks its crap that our house has to look like we just moved in with a knock on the door. we have a 2 yr old that never happens. its just frustrating that they are coming by like this i have already had 3 inspections today and its only 4pm. i think im going to call housing in the morning to see what are their rules because they should not be going through my things especially if my ex and i are not fighting and still living in the same house.
    blairsmommy

Answer by blairsmommy at 7:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Sometimes sound fishy about this. The only inspection ever done is pre-moving inspection and after-leaving housing inspection and it done by housing office only. Yes, contact housing.
    Anonymous

• umm they can do them whenever they dang well please.Its all up to the chain of command. Some are really relaxed and don't bother with them at all and some are real butt heads about it. I hated it while I was in. Everything had to be spotless and being a single mom at the time it wasn't easy at all, especially getting up at 5 to get baby to daycare and then get on post on time for PT. get off work at 5 if not later, go pick up baby, make dinner feed baby, get baby in the bath and then it was bedtime. I swear they wanted everything to be so clean but then I asked them when do I get the time to clean, wash dirty clothes, iron the uniforms, pay bills and all the other crap that had to be done. What really sucked is that I had lived off base, but hey its part of being a soldier, ooh another question is the unit having any sort of drug or alcohol issues or issue of misconduct thats when they really get rough
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• continued...
    with it.Gotta love those health and welfare inspections hell once they came by 2 am. I'm serious. A guy actually drank too much cough medicine. They found out about it and took everybody's cough medicine, Tylenol you name it they confiscated it. The really bad part was during their raids as we called it they found a whole lot more than OTC meds. The following month was horrible. Home, barracks,and car inspections. No leave was allowed unless it involved the death of a family member. They tried getting the Sgt Major to let them do field exercises. Luckily he was decent enough to say hey don't punish everybody but the roommates still got it bad cause they knew what was going and didn't say anything.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009