Can onions keep you from getting sick?

I have a friend who said she read somewhere that if you keep a whole, uncut onion in each room of your house, it will draw bacteria and viruses that could make you sick, and keep them out of the air, and you'll stay healthy all winter. Has anybody else tried this? Is there truth to it?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Health

• Never heard of it. It's probably an old wives tale. Google it anyway for grins. Now my Gma used raw bacon & onions wrapped in a towel to put around my neck to cure the croup. It worked. So who knows. Hmmm

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• No, it's an old wives tale
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Instead of chicken soup for sick people in our house we have an onion,garlic and potato soup in a miso, tomato base. It cures what ails you!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• No, that's not how it works. You are supposed to eat them raw - one at every meal. The smell of it on your breath will keep people far enough away for their germs and to not reach you...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/onion.asp

Don't set the onion in the house- eat it w/ some garlic to help boost your immune system.  :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Garlic. Lots and lots of garlic. When my kids get the flu, I rub some crushed garlic on the bottom of their feet. It totally cleans out the respiratory system.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• totally not true

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2012