Do any of you enjoy a candlelight Christmas eve service? Or, any other type of holiday traditional service in your belief system?

One of the Methodist churches here has a late Christmas Eve service that is open for anyone to attend and it is always packed. The church is very old and historical with the most beautiful stained glass windows. They lower the lights, and just light the windows, then everyone lights a candle, and the service is mostly Christmas carols. After the hurry, and stress, of preparing for Christmas, I love how peaceful it is. Its a great way to start your Christmas celebration with your family and I look forward to it. Is there any thing like that you look forward to? In any belief system, doesnt have to be Christian!!! :)

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Holidays

• the Wednesday night before Christmas my parents' church puts on a little Christmas pageant with the kids. after that we line the auditorium, light candles (little kids get electric ones), and sing religious Christmas songs. its a small church so its very intimate and really helps recharge my batteries for the last few days.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I live in a region where Christmas traditions are very important. I am an atheist but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the festivities! There are churches here that celebrate midnight mass with live (local inspired - traditional costumes, mass spoken in Provençal, etc.) nativity scenes. It's pure magic.

http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/evenement/actualite/07/creches-vivantes/12-allauch.shtml

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/noel-provence/noel-baux-de-provence/creche-vivante-noel.htm

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We had a church we went to that had a wonderful Christmas choir and play each year and they also did a candle light service. That's what true Christmas is all about. The birth of Christ and worshipping Him.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• We have church on Christmas Day!! I LOVE it! When I was in Benin (West Africa) one year I spent Christmas there. We went to the different villages and visited all the churches on Christmas Day. Their entire Christmas celebration is spent at church with their church family. It was such a neat way to spend Christmas.

Later I got married and my husband loved that idea. So, now that he is a pastor, we have services on Christmas day. Ours is only about an hour, but it is so much fun to see our church family on Christmas Day!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I'm Southern Baptist. We have two services - one at 5:30 that is mostly families with young kids and one at 7. They read the Christmas story, have communion and we sing carols. The 2nd to last carol is Silent Night, they turn out the lights and everyone has a candle so we light them then. The last song is always Joy to the World.

Answer by missanc at 9:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I grew up Catholic, and I used to love the quiet, solemn mass at midnight on Christmas Eve. It was a reminder of the gift of Jesus Christ to humanity amid all the bustle and mayhem of the holidays.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• We have made Midnight mass a tradition. We have done it for many years.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We just stay home for Christmas Eve, but that sounds lovely.

I'd like to attend something like that but I usually wind up putting together last minute toys and enjoying a few beers on Christmas Eve.

Luckily every year the toys have been put together properly, LOL.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• At the mosque we attend there is no Christmas eve service but on Christmas day there is a lecture offered where its discussed about our belief about Jesus and Mary and than prayers.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• That does sound nice, but we go out to a nice dinner, then come home and watch a"A Christmas Story". We do it every year. It's on for 24 hours, so it doesn't matter when we tune in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2012