How festive is your town/city over the holidays?

I dont live in a very big city but the surrounding area does a pretty impressive job of celebrating the holidays! This month, DH and I have chosen to: go to the annual evening Christmas Parade and tree lighting with Santa, go to a historical parade with victorian Santa, carolers, etc, go to the Nutcracker, go to a big screen showing every Wednesday night of a classic Christmas movie (Miracle on 32nd St, etc), go to a dinner theater with some type of singing Christmas show (I forget what exactly), Christmas Eve Candlelight sevice, .... I think that's all we have chosen.

What does your town/city do that you are joining in?

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2012 in Holidays

• I'm not sure on all of it, but our local town had an hour and a half long parade yesterday. That's too much for me. Yikes!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Om my goodness, our town celebrates huge. But, I'm about 10 miles from the big city.

We have a street called Peacock Lane. .Everyone that lives there signs on to decorate their homes every Christmas. We do the walk every year. I've seen the Nut Cracker and Singing Christmas tree many times.

We'll probably do the Zoo train at night and the Grotto.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• Not too sure really- I know there was a parade in Albuquerque last night...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• We'll have a parade next weekend, along with hayrides, hot chocolate, a petting zoo, Santa Claus, that kind of thing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• I'm at the Port of Los Angeles. In our town & the surrounding areas there are so many things to do it's difficult to choose. There will be a Christmas Tree lighting in downtown, Several versions of "A Christmas Carol" at local theaters. The city of Torrance nearby will have a performance of Nutcracker, We love to go to the neighborhood I refer to as The Christmas Neighborhood. I've never seen an entire neighborhood decorated the way this 1 is . (not that I've been everywhere!!) There's the Festival of Trees, Donny & Marie are doing a Christmas show in Los Angeles, all of the theme parks have special things going on. There are numerous concerts to go to. Santa comes down a different street every day in his "sleigh" ( a trailer decorated as a sleigh) in most neighborhoods.

We will be going to the Christmas neighborhood, seeing "A Christmas Carol", going to Universal Studios Merry Grinchmas, & seeing the Festival of trees!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2012

• The university will put on a fantasy of lights. The art dept puts up a lot of different characters which is pretty neat. Downtown is pretty lame though. They have a tree and just a few lights and then they some Christmas banners hanging on the light poles. What I love to see are the homes in the nice neighborhoods lit up. They will usually have a horse n buggy ride to go and look at the homes. There is also a parade of homes where tickets can be purchased to look inside decorated homes.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• nothing, they only put up lamp post decor
    What I was told of the past was that they use to go all out including contests for
    most decorated home and home walk thrus...
    now nothing been like this at least since the last 10 yrs I have lived here.. sucks really...

Now the surrounding towns go all out with parades (lighted implemented ones) and town open
    houses, and other festive stuff...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• very! lots of lights everywhere, tons of city planned activities & decorations, parades, pageants, etc. its one of the (few) perks to living in the Bible belt...they really know how to do Christmas!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Parade, Nutcracker.........
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2012