How to explain to a child why disabled kids don't have to wait in line at Disney parks ...

AllAboutKeeley, I'm sorry someone, hiding beind the Anon button, has given you such a hard time. I don't know if you got my answer before you deleted your question, but I wanted to share it anyway because I don't believe you should have to miss out on a discussion that was obviously important to you on account of someone else's rudeness.

It must have been hurtful to hear your daughter say the boy in the wheelchair on TV was more special than she is. If it had been my child, I would have said it probably felt unfair to her when the kids in wheelchairs got to cut in line at Disney. Then I would have had her brainstorm about things she can do that the boy in the wheelchair on TV couldnt--walk, run, ride the swings and climb on the playground, etc. She might have decided on her own that the world isn't fair. In any case, I would have explain to her that rules are important, but sometimes kids are sick or crippled and need help so they can get to do fun things that would be too hard for them to do the regular way. Maybe talk to her about kids with disabilities at her school and what they need help doing. This could turn into a real eye-opening experience for your little girl.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell them that sometimes people with disabilities need special attention and sometimes take a little longer to get from one place to another and this makes it so they can do as many rides as the other kids that don't have disabilities. I don't think it's really that complicated.

Kids might feel it's unfair, but you could always give them a little perspective and ask if they would like to live in a wheelchair. And if they would go in the short line if they did. In cases like these, I tend to ask them questions I already know the answers to.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Ballad, while I 100% agree with your answer, I do think AAK could have asked the question in a better way.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Thank you, Ballad. I did see your response to my question and I kept the e-mail notification so that I could re-read it after this irritation passed. Your answer really does help me out and I will sit her down tomorrow after school and talk to her about it.

JM...I felt I needed to explain WHY I was asking it hoping to ward off the crazies and obviously that made it worse. I do stand behind my question and how it was asked, as I asked in the best way I could think of.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• and I told you why, they can not physically stand without meds or canes or wheelchairs or they are dying of cancer
    or they can not comprehend the reason for a long line so if there was no special consideration these children or adults would never be able to enjoy what you and your child get to.

just tell her point blank that things have to be done for some people becasue they are sick or in pain etc. All kids get diappointed and perfect way to teach her that life is not fair for everyone at the same time.

and what ballad says!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• So hard to explain the why of things as they come up. Why does Sarah not walk or talk? Why does Amy only have one arm? Why is the cashier the size of a preschooler but still an adult? Those are some of tge questions we have actually had. And we have to explain the same answer many times over on different days. Some days wheelchairs seem like such a cool way together around. It has wheels. That makes it pretty darn special and appealing. He doesn't see it for the struggle it is. It is not being insensitive. It is being his age. Now of he was 26 and not 6 I would seriously question his maturity and understanding of the world. But at six I am not concerned. It is normal to see something different like a cast or a wheel chair and wish you could have something that cool or special too.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• My son saw a lady in a wheelchair and just staired at her. I just explained to him some people need certain things to help them like me with my glasses and him with his hearing aids only difference is she needed a larger item to help her. I don't know what the original question was, but I would just explain that she is not any less special because she does not have a disability that everyone is special in their own way. Tell her she is an exceptional artist or she can sing better then anyone you have ever met. Have her focus on her abilities not her shortcomings..
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Also, I proofread the braille copies of the tour guides for all of the Disney parks last summer. There's a program called FastPass that allows you to sign up for rides at particular times, then avoid waiting in line. Some of the disabled guests at the park may have taken advantage of the FastPass program, but I believe it's available to anybody at no cost.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2012