Paul Harvey, What yeah think?

Thiss speech was broadcast by legendary ABC Radio commentator Paul Harvey on April 3, 1965:

If I were the Devil . . . I mean, if I were the Prince of Darkness, I would of course, want to engulf the whole earth in darkness. I would have a third of its real estate and four-fifths of its population, but I would not be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree, so I should set about however necessary to take over the United States. I would begin with a campaign of whispers. With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: “Do as you please.” “Do as you please.” To the young, I would whisper, “The Bible is a myth.” I would convince them that man created God instead of the other way around. I would confide that what is bad is good, and what is good is “square”. In the ears of the young marrieds, I would whisper that work is debasing, that cocktail parties are good for you. I would caution them not to be extreme in religion, in patriotism, in moral conduct. And the old, I would teach to pray. I would teach them to say after me: “Our Father, which art in Washington” . . .

If I were the devil, I’d educate authors in how to make lurid literature exciting so that anything else would appear dull an uninteresting. I’d threaten T.V. with dirtier movies and vice versa. And then, if I were the devil, I’d get organized. I’d infiltrate unions and urge more loafing and less work, because idle hands usually work for me. I’d peddle narcotics to whom I could. I’d sell alcohol to ladies and gentlemen of distinction. And I’d tranquilize the rest with pills. If I were the devil, I would encourage schools to refine yound intellects but neglect to discipline emotions . . . let those run wild. I would designate an athiest to front for me before the highest courts in the land and I would get preachers to say “she’s right.” With flattery and promises of power, I could get the courts to rule what I construe as against God and in favor of pornography, and thus, I would evict God from the courthouse, and then from the school house, and then from the houses of Congress and then, in His own churches I would substitute psychology for religion, and I would deify science because that way men would become smart enough to create super weapons but not wise enough to control them.

If I were Satan, I’d make the symbol of Easter an egg, and the symbol of Christmas, a bottle. If I were the devil, I would take from those who have and I would give to those who wanted, until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. And then, my police state would force everybody back to work. Then, I could separate families, putting children in uniform, women in coal mines, and objectors in slave camps. In other words, if I were Satan, I’d just keep on doing what he’s doing.

Paul Harvey, Good Day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Paul Harvey in his own words. His radio broadcast.

http://stg.do/9LDc 

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Well even if the legendary Paul Harvey did NOT make this speech, if it was a genuine look into the mess we have now, then whoever predicted it should be rich & is probably the winner of the latest Powerball jackpot!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Okay, first I have to say that the proper way to ask this question would be to ask, "What do you think?". "Yeah" is another way to say yes, yep, etc. If you would like to use slang for "you" then the proper word would be "ya"

Second, I think it's sad that so many people blindly believe everything the see on the internet, without question and without researching it for themselves.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• id laugh because at any given point in the history of all civilization you can find someone predicting horrible things happening in the future and half the time they use their religion as the base of the prediction.

and why would the symbol of Christmas become a bottle...was "he" predicting we'd all be drunk?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• You are welcome.

I would also like to say that snopes is not your friend. They have a political agenda, they lean to the left..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Snopes never denied it... if you read the link, it states that it is partially true, based on what version of the "speech". There is a doctored up version that has been circulating for years that is completely off from what Harvey originally wrote. Yet it is still attributed to Harvey. What is posted above is one version of a commentary he used over three decades, and that he changed according to the time. However, it was no prediction of the future, it was commentary on what was happening at the time... and quite honestly what has always happened throughout history. Nothing new, nothing revealing, just observations on what human nature is....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• BAER
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• There are parts of it that I agree with, and parts that I don't. It's all opinion though. (regardless of who said it and when it was said)
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Regardless of who said it first, it's kinda unnerving. I do think this country as a whole has spiritual issues that are the root to our problems.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2012