Wont use the potty at 4.5

my nephew is 4.5 next month and he isnt potty trained yet. my sister started putting undies on him a couple weeks ago because he wont go in them but he will in a pull up problem is now he wont go all day. my sister will ask if he has to go he will say no. she said he will littetly hold it until bedtime when hr gets a pullup on. she was telling methe other day he had undies on all day and didnt go potty all day and as soon as she put a pull up on him for bed he pooped. then yesterday she told me he woke up at 6 she put undies on him at 9 and he hasnt peed at all (he was i undies) she kept asking him but he said no. how can he told it until bedtime? she said he goes at daycare (pee) anyway but at home he wont go at all he wont go on the big potty, little potty, outside nothing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in General Parenting

• She needs to take him every hour or so, put him on the toilet & sit with him. Read stories, look at magazines, have conversations. If she makes it comfortable for him then he will be more willing. By her just asking then him saying no is not helping. He is a boy, he has a zillion things to do & play during the day. He doesn't want to take precious time out to be bothered to use the bathroom. So his Mom has to make the time fun for him & sit with him.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Has she tried sinking the cheerio's? Mine loved that one. Or a mini tootsie roll if they pottied?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• yes she has tried the cherrio thing and candy, toy and money lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• kids are most comfortable at home. to me, it sounds like he isn't comfortable with the potty deal, but he has to do it at daycare. at home, he doesn't have to put up a front. Mom loves him, warts and all. If it were me, I would definitely talk to his doc. that may be an indication of developmental delay. but aside from that, I would put a pull up on him once an hour, everyday. let him relieve himself. let that be a routine for a while. then do the pull up while sitting on the potty. then maybe sitting on the pull up, but it not be fastened. baby steps to get closer to the ultimate goal.

if this is a normal child, there is something that is freaking him out about the potty. he is at that age when fears are real. So I would encourage him to talk about the potty. explain the process. how he thinks it works. maybe that can shed light on what is really going on.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 11:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• One of my daughters resisted using the toilet so I sat her on it (when I knew she hadn't urinated for several hours), turned on a tap and ran water ... the sound of it made her pee every time!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2012