Chest pain and shortness of breath. kind of long but please read.

Ok so I have been having shortness of breath for almost a year now since my youngest was 5 months old she is 16 months now. When a say short of breath I mean like taking a deep breath I cant. Well it wad only happening once in a while like every few months but when it did happen only lasted a day and sometimes a week or 2. I ended up goingto the er for it where they done a urine test, blood test, ekg, cat scan of the chest, andchecked for blood clots all were fine. I went to the follow up all was fine, but he sent ne to a lung dr who said i have athsna, but doesnt make sense cause i dont cough weeze or anything.

A few months later I couldnt breath at all (i had a cold) i went to the er again. Well I had they said asthmatic bronchitis so they gave me a breathing treatment. The did a chest xray it was fine. They done blood work they said (i forget) but something was high and that could mean bloodclot so they done another cat scan and checked for blood clot it was all fine. So they sent me home with meds. I went to my dr who I asked if the ekg was fine if that means everything was fine withmy heart he said nothing is wrong my heart sounds fine he says i worry to muchso put me on axiety meds. He wasnt doing anythingsoI switched drs. and now for the last couple months i have been having sharp chest pain.

I went to the new dr a month ago who did anekg since my chest wad hurting it wad fine. He told me they dont want to unnessesary tests he said lots of times people who end up at the er for chest pain end up being acid reflux so he put me on meds for that and a different inhaler and diffrent anxiety meds. Well a couple weeks ago when i went in i didnt have chest pain anymore but i did still have trouble breathing so he kept me on acid reflux meds and upped my inhaler. But now I am having chest pain again I go back Dec. 12th to the dr. I almost went back to the er the other day but dh wouldnt take me. I was havi g chest pain trouble breathing and my heart done this thing felt like it did a flip or skipped a beat or something.

When I sleep at night to if I lay on my back propped up on pillows I am better but if i lay on my side with my arms across my chest i cant breath and if i am dozing off like that i will wake feeling like i stopped breathing. The other dayI fell asleep on the couch and i gasped cause i had my hand across my chest and it felt like my heart stopped or something. Then one day only once I felt this cold sensation in my chest and a few times I felt a warm sensation in my chest. What can this be or sound like? My worst fear is something with my heart and no dr will listen to me on doing tests. They said my heart sounds fine and i gad a lot of tests done in the er that were all fine. They also say because i am for the most part healthy and my age (30) it is unlikely. But what else can it be? he also said if it were my heart i would be dead by now

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Health

• IDK, but if you are worried about your heart you need to see a cardiologist, not an ER Dr. unless you feel it's life or death. The unnecessary tests are very expensive to pay for. And do you actually have an anxiety condition that requires meds, or are you just concerned about your health? I may be naive but I don't know that it's normal for them to just say you worry too much and put you on medication for that. Just from what you wrote, I would try to find another Dr.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

•  my heart done this thing felt like it did a flip or skipped a beat or something.

this is called a heart palpitation. i get them ALL the time, and they are essentially harmless and normal, though scary as fuck. they can be brought on by extreme stress/anxiety, too much caffiene intake, and sometimes for no reason at all. 

are you sure you dont have anxiety? 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• They've DONE all the tests. You've written about this for months now and doc shopping isn't going to get you answers.

I think this is psychological, truly. I think you need to see a counselor, stay on your SSRI or whatever they gave you for your anxiety and figure out where this fear is coming from. Your heart is fine (as confirmed by several doctors), your pulmonary function is fine other than, perhaps, mild asthma (as confirmed by several doctors) and your EEG/EKG were normal.

Going to several different doctors muddies the water. What it telling is that no matter how many you go to, they all confirm that you're physically healthy. Get a referral to a psychiatrist (who is a medical doctor) and go from there.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Ahh, I didn't realize that there was a longer back story to this.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• what is the thing with laying on my chest then with my arm across my chest? Also why do i gasp when i am trying to fall asleep. My chest will also start hurting at times when picking up the baby, cleaning house or even exersicing
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Is it possible that you have soft tissue pain? Like in your muscles? A pain in your chest does not automatically mean it's a heart condition.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Stress & anxiety can cause chest pain & shortness of breath. If they've done EKG's and your fine then it probably is psychological. Which the exception of hyper-thyrodism, which can cause the same sensations.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• You need to stop doctor hopping. It will be much more difficult for you to find conclusive answers if you keep going to new docs. You will have to start at square one with each doc and it is not only a waste of your money, but a waste of their time. Your docs are right, it does not sound like a heart thing at all to me. Asthma and acid refulx are both big contributors to the symptoms you describe. There is not much here that sounds like heart issues, and if you have had the tests, and they confirm that your heart is okay than it is most likely a lung or tissue problem. BUT most likely it is a psychological problem. The symptoms you describe are all common with anxiety and panic attacks. So, to recap, STOP DOCTOR HOPPING. It isn't helping you. SEE A PSYCHIATRIST. Deal with your anxiety. STOP DOING THE SAME TESTS OVER AND OVER. It isn't your heart.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• i have only been to 2 drs besides the lung dr i was sent too. my other dr litterly wasnt doing anything he gave me anxiety meds and didnt even set me up for a follow up appointment so i switched to this dr who i do like.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have ALL of those symptoms and it IS ASTHMA, use your inhaler and ask for a nebulizer for at home. You DO NOT have to wheeze or cough to have an attack. It DOES feel like a heart attack, dust, chemicals, change in the weather can cause it to flair up. Make sure you were a mask when you clean or use ONLY organic cleaning supplies. A cold can cause it to hurt twice as bad.

it sucks that it is an on going issue but it is what it is. I talked til I was blue in the face they did a heart cath, all sorts of crap that cost me tons of money and then I went to a pulmonary specialist and did the booth test they do and got the diagnosis. I have 2 inhalers, one is a regualar use and one is a rescue inhaler along with the nebulizer.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2012