Do you think if someone named a boy Henry he would get called Harry or Hank?

we sort of like the name henry. We are debating between Leo, Graham or Henry for a boy, but my husband said that he thinks people might nick name him hank or harry because he knows of a guy in his 50's that they call hank but his real name is henry.

Do you think it'll be a problem or is the nick name Hank kind of dated?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Baby Names

• We had an Uncle Hank, and his name was Henry. So it is the nick name for Henry... Harry, I have no idea what that comes from...

I love the name Henry. I was the same when we named our son Joseph. I didn't want everyone calling him Joe, or Joey, and thankfully the ones that call him Joe are his friends, and that's okay, I don't see them much... I have always insisted he's Joseph, and that's all my family calls him, and the adults in his life. So just insist on Henry, and don't be afraid to correct people if they call him something else....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have an Uncle Henry and no one calls him Hank or Harry. I don't know why anyone would. I prefer Graham over Henry and Leo. :) Congrats!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I only know one Henry in real life. He's in his 60's and goes by Henry lol. Everybody said people were going to call my son "Izzy" which I abhor, but it hasn't happened. I think if someone calls your child a nickname, it will only stick if YOU continue to use it, or if he grows up and decides he likes it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Hank is the usual nickname for Henry. I think people will only use it if you let them, though.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Harry isn't short for Henry and I don't think it will happen unless you start using the nickname. Nicknames were much more common in the past.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My cousin named her son Henry and he is called HENRY. That is his name he is not called anything else. We are big with calling our kids by their given name. My son is 16 and will only answer to his name, Tyler. Very few get away with anything else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• no
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I don't think it would be a problem. Know a couple of Henry none of them are call any of those names
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I like Henry the most, never heard a Henry being called Hank. Graham sounds to me more like a last name, not fond of that name much(JMO), and Leo is ok but hear it short mostly for the name leonardo.
    Star88

Answer by Star88 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I don't think so I really like Henry. A lot! Leo is a great choice too. Henry Leo is a very nice name.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 12:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2013