Do you think if someone named a boy Henry he would get called Harry or Hank?

we sort of like the name henry. We are debating between Leo, Graham or Henry for a boy, but my husband said that he thinks people might nick name him hank or harry because he knows of a guy in his 50's that they call hank but his real name is henry.

Do you think it'll be a problem or is the nick name Hank kind of dated?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Baby Names

• Not really
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 7:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2014

• Personally ive never heard of some one being named Henry and getting nicknamed Harry. Hank yes but only if you allow him to be nicknamed that. I love all your name choices, I think Graham is soo adorable and we almost used it for our son Cooper
    Jayde2bys

Answer by Jayde2bys at 5:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I think he will be called Henry if that is what he wants. He won't allow ,(and you won't allow)people to call him a nick name if he doesn't want it. My husband is named Michael, not Mike. no one who knows him calls him Mike.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 4:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I don't think so I really like Henry. A lot! Leo is a great choice too. Henry Leo is a very nice name.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 12:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I like Henry the most, never heard a Henry being called Hank. Graham sounds to me more like a last name, not fond of that name much(JMO), and Leo is ok but hear it short mostly for the name leonardo.
    Star88

Answer by Star88 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2012

• I don't think it would be a problem. Know a couple of Henry none of them are call any of those names
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• no
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• My cousin named her son Henry and he is called HENRY. That is his name he is not called anything else. We are big with calling our kids by their given name. My son is 16 and will only answer to his name, Tyler. Very few get away with anything else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Harry isn't short for Henry and I don't think it will happen unless you start using the nickname. Nicknames were much more common in the past.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Hank is the usual nickname for Henry. I think people will only use it if you let them, though.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012