Do you think if someone named a boy Henry he would get called Harry or Hank?

we sort of like the name henry. We are debating between Leo, Graham or Henry for a boy, but my husband said that he thinks people might nick name him hank or harry because he knows of a guy in his 50's that they call hank but his real name is henry.

Do you think it'll be a problem or is the nick name Hank kind of dated?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Baby Names

• It's old-fashioned to nickname a Henry Harry or Hank. I don't think that would happen at all. I really like the name Henry.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Henry...?

I don't see why anyone would call him eiether of those two names
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I only know one Henry in real life. He's in his 60's and goes by Henry lol. Everybody said people were going to call my son "Izzy" which I abhor, but it hasn't happened. I think if someone calls your child a nickname, it will only stick if YOU continue to use it, or if he grows up and decides he likes it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Those are more common nicknames for Harold.

I don't think it'd be a problem.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I've never heard "Harry" but I've heard "Hank" used
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Harry for Harold...Hank for Henry. My cousin named her baby Henry a couple of years ago. He gets called Hank already. I can't say I'm really fond of the names Henry or Hank, but you have to pick a name you'll be happy with.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We had an Uncle Hank, and his name was Henry. So it is the nick name for Henry... Harry, I have no idea what that comes from...

I love the name Henry. I was the same when we named our son Joseph. I didn't want everyone calling him Joe, or Joey, and thankfully the ones that call him Joe are his friends, and that's okay, I don't see them much... I have always insisted he's Joseph, and that's all my family calls him, and the adults in his life. So just insist on Henry, and don't be afraid to correct people if they call him something else....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have an Uncle Henry and no one calls him Hank or Harry. I don't know why anyone would. I prefer Graham over Henry and Leo. :) Congrats!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Are you writing a book or blog on baby names and using Cafe Mom as your research?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2012

• No...I found out two days ago that I am pregnant again. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to picking the right name with every pregnancy I have started my search early because it takes me months it seems to finally pick. This time I don't have as many names I like since I am tired of so many that were on the lists for my other three children I don't have any friends around so just bouncing ideas off of people :)
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2012