How much "Spit-Up" is Normal?

My daughter is almost 6 weeks old. She's been spitting up alot, but in the past 2 weeks, it's gotten worse. She had gained 3 lbs in her first month, but it just seems like alot of spitting up. What can I do? Should I tell her doctor, even though I've already mentioned it? She told me as long as she's gaining weight and not getting upset when she's spitting up it's nothing to worry about, but I feel like I should be doing something for her?

lilmizzie27

Asked by lilmizzie27 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think as long as she is just spitting up and not throwing up that she is fine, as long as she keeps most of it down. If it really worries you then I would just give the doctor a call.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• does she cry when you burp her or when she spits up? you may want to put a little baby oatmeal in her bottle. it helps the formula stick to their stomach. i when through the same this and found out my son had acid reflux. talk to her doctor again. its her job to find out whats going on. good luck

marissad

Answer by marissad at 8:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• remember that it often appears to be much more than it actually is.
    as long as her weight gain is good and her output(wet and dirty diapers) is fine then you shouldn't worry.

also, like asholan said, there's a difference between spitting up and throwing up. as long as your baby isn't throwing up there isn't cause for concern.
    congrats on a the new baby!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Some children just spit up more than others. My dd has been a spitter since day one. She is almost six months and it is just starting to get better. We call her a happy spitter because it doesn't bother her at all, just more of a laundry issue for me. I would just stock up on bibs and ride it out.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• As long as it is not vomiting, and it really is spitting up and not bothering her then it shouldn't bother you. Let it be. My child will still be spitting up 5 hours after her last meal. She's fine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son would spit up often and it felt like more came out than went in. It worried me initially but he wasn't upset by it and he put on weight normally and eventually he stopped (then I got our carpets cleaned!)
    Anonymous

• as long a she gains weight and not lose it its fine.if its a coffee cup full then i'd bring it up.
    Anonymous