23 and depressed??

So I'm 23 and my son and I live with my parents. I work full time making crap money at a crappy retail job. I have been going to school part time for what seems like forever, and this semester is extremely difficult for me, like to the point where I may fail the class. If I do fail ill have to pay financial aid back the $600 for the class, which I don't have. On top of that I have a collections agency calling me for a hospital bill from when I didn't have insurance. I guess everything just hit me today, and its taking everything in me to hold back the tears. I wanna set a good example for my son but its not working out the way I planned it would. Sorry for rambling I guess I needed to vent. Advice would be nice though too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Health

• Can you get on a payment plan for the hospital bill?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Don't hold back the tears. I'm also 23 and going through alot and found crying helps. Just breath. Things will get better even though it may not seem like it right now but it will
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 6:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• There's no reason to hold back the tears. You're overwhelmed. You don't need to heap problems on your son, of course, but it's okay to let him know you're sad.

Can you get tutoring for your class?

And Virginiamama is right. Call the hospital directly and get on a payment plan. If you send in even a small amount every month, the bill won't go to collections. And if you tell the collections agency not to contact you again, by phone or in writing, by law you have to be left alone. Just send the mail by certified delivery so you can prove you told the agency to lay off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Sorry you're having a rough time. Go ahead and cry if you need to let it out. Few words of advice that I could have used way back when: First, talk to your professor. Explain the situation and ask if there is anything you can do now. Maybe take an incomplete and finish the class later (when you have more time to focus) or see if there is any way you can get extra credit. Sometimes they will find a way to help you out.

And then call the collection agency and again explain. Sometimes, they will reduce the pay-off or will give you some kind of deferment. I know - it's hard to move sometimes, but you will feel SO much better after you do something about the situation.

And then, work... Does your school offer any kind of tuition reimbursement for their employees? Does ANY company in the are offer tuition assistance? Start stalking their job boards. It doesn't have to be a good job, just benefits eligible.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 6:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• The key to getting out of your rut IS your education. It's okay to cry and stress out but then this is your life so you need to bail you out. You can totally do this. It's sucks, yes. But it's not forever. You won't be at the crap retail job forever. Also, what are your hours? You might make more money as a nanny or caregiver to the elderly instead of doing retail. There is a lot of need for this. Where I live, you need a CPR/First Aid certificate. Anyway, you can do this, keep telling yourself that you can and then, you will.
    Anonymous