Sickness, Sickness Everywhere!

*****First of all, thank you to all the ladies that helped with my question about DD's bleeding nose. By the way no one from her doctors office called me back that day. I had to call them back. I didn't use a humidifier, but I did stop using her vaporizer and cracked a window. She slept so soundly. No bleeding since that day. ******

Now, her youngest older is getting sick. I had a scare when I picked him up from school early and one of the staff said she thought he might have meningitis. Yo! Scared my heart out of my chest.

However I didn't see what she was referring to. He was coherent, no blotchy skin. His hands were really hot at first, then became ice cold. I didn't see that as a problem because he went from laying on his hands to walking around an ice cold school.

The issues we're having are: Fever (range 100.1-100.9), headache and sensitivity to light. A mild cough. Nothing like DD's. His sounds dry and isn't as frequent. He says he has no body aches.

My thermometer is killing me! It's one of those behind the ear ones. If he lays down and I try to take him temp on the side he lays down on it beeps like crazy displaying 102.9 or higher. If I try to take his temp on the side exposed it reads anywhere in the range i wrote before.

I called his doc when I picked him up from school (seriously thinking of finding a new pedi) and the nurse said keep him home, give him fluids, the usual.

The time of the year just kills me lol. It always starts with one person getting sick and it bounces from kid to kid, spreading like wildfire.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to play it by ear with this one. I don't remember (getting up in age lol) seeing the kids get a cold without a congested cough. Don't remember any of them complaining of a headache with a fever before either.

Anyone else collecting a house full of sick kids?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 6:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Mine are like clockwork this time of year. I try to do so much to avoid it. They'll tell you. But I fail everytime lol
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Wow, how did that staff member get from a cold, to meningitis? Talk about a leap!

Anyway, your doctor is the best person to answer your specific questions, of course. I can tell you that it IS the season for the viral stuff and that can show up in a lot of different ways. Your son's fever isn't horrible; it appears as though his immune system is working well.

But, as I say, give your doctor another call if you're concerned. Keep him hydrated and comfortable, light meals if he's not too hungry, you know the drill

Hope he feels better soon.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We're on the downside... I HOPE! Grandkids have went through two sinus infections, one strep, and this flu thing. I am just now getting over it after four week.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Mrs_Prissy.. I was like whaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
    He's doing well. I tried to make him get bed rest and he was like, Uh no. LoL. He did take a nap and now he's in the toy room screaming about the storm troopers coming or something.

As far as his pedi goes. I don't think it's the doc I think it's his staff. Trying to get someone to call you back is next to impossible. They rarely ever say, " bring your child in." always, " Just watch him/her and make sure to keep them comfortable."

But we're all used to the waiting game here. Watching the kids and circling like hawks when they get sick.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• The offices get that way during the sick season because most of the time it's viral, the office gets packed, people can't get in. I know it seems counter intuitive and it's hard on parents.

But you can always make an appointment if you're truly worried and, if you have trouble with that, then it IS time to find a new doc, in my opinion.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Hope everyone is feeling better now
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2012