Menopause or Hormone Question: Have you taken hormone replacement therapy?

If so, for how long and what did you take? What was your experience?

If not, how did you manage? What are some things you did to relieve the hot flashes and night sweats.

If you are over menopause... how long did it take you?

What other symptoms did you attribute to menopause?

This is seriously the biggest PITA I have ever encountered.... HELP!!!

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 7:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Health

• I have, I took Provera amnd Premarin for at least two years, it was a welcome change when I realized going through menopause my family feared me coming home!!!! I could not stand myself much less others, I was grumpy and nasty and nothing like I normally am, anxiety city was my middle name plus the sweats were constant. Then after two years I was feeling bloated all the time, not myself, but not quite like before taking the hormones, and the fact that I would have my period for as long as I was taking those did not appeal to me!!! so I stopped them myself, and I still had the sweats for at least 4 years more but the other symptoms went away. Finally my menstrual cycle died and I was going through the only thing that is good in old age!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• i am starting
    i have headaches with period- maybe not menopause
    but.... last few months, i have had a few hot flashes- so now i know
    boy those hot flashes are fun, especially because i want to rip all my clothes off for a few minutes, then i am freezing cold for hour or more no missed periods yet (older sister said doc will not give me hormones until period goes crazy)
    getting odd cramps i never had since teenager, so that is coming to

i try to remember to take vitamins for women 50+, if i take every day and do not overdue it on my back a few days before perios, i have a 50% chance of not getting 2 day headache

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I didn't take anything, and I am happy to say I made it without the drugs. My husband is a very understanding man, and I have to say that helped a whole lot. I made up my mind before it started that I would not take anything during the process. I figured that God had made my body to begin with and that menopause was a part of His design, so He and I could get through it together. And so we did, and I would not do it any other way should I be given the opportunity for a "do-over"!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Man, I so feel your pain. So, my answers are as follows:

1. Did not use HRT because it wasn't really offered to me

2. I used soy, Vitamin B Complex (a really good one; not anything from Walmart - used Now products) That helped me a lot

3. It took me (and I'm really sorry to say this to you) about 4 years from start to finish. Years 2-3 were THE worst

4. Couldn't sleep, lots of random anxiety, skin changes (dry patches, acne, etc)

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• It's frustrating because it's not like menopause is this process that takes a couple of weeks and you're done. It seems to take forever and you're miserable a good deal of the time.

A friend put together her own homeopathic treatment supplement pack that she said worked wonders. I'll send her an email tonight and PM you what she tells me, if that's okay?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• brawn, please email me those suggestions from your friend too
    thanks
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Thanks Prawny. I've been on everything from plain estrogen to BCP and even offered antidepressants. Today, I get told I have high BP and they will not give me any BCP or estrogen now. The only thing they offered was Progesterone. Yikes!
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Yes, please!
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Ugh, me too paxi. I could write a book with my trials right now....
    m-avi

• Thanks older, I am considering toughening it out right now, if my family can stand me!
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2012