How do I stop the teasing?

My 8 year old son constantly teases his 9 year old sister and 6 year old brother. It has become such a problem in the house that there is constant fighting. My 8 year old will tease, but my 9 year old will make such a huge deal out of pety things that it only make it more fun for my son to tease. How do I stop this behavior from happening? Please any help would be appreciated.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 7:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 9yo used to love to tease his 8yo brother and 2yo sister. I tried talking to him about it, and punishing him for it but it never worked. Finally as a last resort I started teasing him. He did not like it and I told him that every time I saw or heard him teasing someone I would do the same to him. After a few instances he started saying that he was not teasing, but playing with them. He did not seem to know the difference. We are working on it, and it is getting better, but because he is so stubborn I have to use the same "meanness" against him that he uses against others. It works the best from other options that I have tried, and the teasing has stopped. Now we are working on respect in general.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would wonder what he is gaining from the teasing? He may be needing attention and this is one way of getting it. Being the middle child behind a girl and having a baby brother is a tough situation for him. You might try bragging on him for good behavior and focus on things he can do well. Try giving him extra positive attention and I would be that the teasing stops. If the teasing continues you might tell him that each time you hear him tease his siblings that his bedtime is moved up by 15 minutes. Good luck!
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Tease him. Let him see how it feels to be on the receiving end of the teasing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You figure this one out...let us all know...we are all ears lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009