Holiday Main Dishes.... Ideas?

What do you usually serve or have for Christmas, or whichever holiday you celebrate, for the main dish?

We usually do a prime rib roast.. Kind of want to stray from the usual & try something new..

Ideas? Traditions?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 8:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Always different. I don't cook a big meal, but with our families, some of the more recent things (including what we'll have this year) are prime rib, lasagna, soups & breads/rolls/etc, ham, turkey.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We do lasagna on Xmas eve, that's been tradition forever!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We usually have ham, sometimes we do a huge roast slow cooked.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We usually do Ham. My ex's family does oysters, shrimp and fish.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We do something different ea yr.
    This yr I am hosting 2 dinners, the first one is with my family and I have a sister
    who is a vegetarian, so I am making a veggie lasagna and a double meat/cheese lasagna
    with a lg toss salad and garlic toast...
    The second dinner is with my inlaws and we have decided to make a ham dinner with the works,
    mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies rolls, etc...

As for Christmas eve we will most likey order a pizza the 3 of us and on Christmas day we are doing
    grilled burgers snow and all (if there is any...lol)

It is never the same 2 yrs in a row, we like the diversity of it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We do lasagna. The best part of it is that the grandchildren make it like a week or 2 before and then it's frozen. So it's really 2 memory making days.
    Then there is the annual grandpa and grandchildren chocolate dipping day. I think we are skipping it this year as too many things have happened this year and no one seems to have the time.

I love, love, love having lasagna for Christmas. Especially since my children, nieces, and nephew made it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Oh I was going to say prime rib roast, but perhaps you could do lamb? On Christmas eve we have the dinner of fishes, meaning a heck of alot of seafood, lol. It might be good for Christmas Day as well?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Since we just had a heavy meal at Thanksgiving I like to do something totally different. One year lasagna, one year it was grilled steaks with baked potatoes and salad, this year at the big Christmas at my inlaws we are doing a pot luck. We are making tamales, others each bring one item rice, beans, dips, chips, desserts and drinks. I have not decided what we will be making at home yet.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We always have lasagna on Christmas Eve, and then it varies on Christmas Day. We've done tri tip, prime rib, and this year I'm trying to convince everyone we should do steak and lobster tails.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Well this year has been very hard soto do something fun we are having an International Christmas. Curry Chicken, Curry Vegetables, Enchiladas, Thai lettuce wraps and.......... we are still deciding the rest of the menu.
    One year I made Cornish Game Hens. They were really great. I used Martha Stewarts Recipe.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2012