Has anyone litter-trained a small dog?

My SIL just told me my other SIL did (she has a chihuahua, I have a chiweenie), but I won't be able to talk to her until Sunday. Our vet also mentioned it but didn't have any tips or anything - just that it's possible.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 8:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Pets

• Never heard of litter training a dog, a bunny yes, but not a dog. I thought cats just did it because it was in their nature but I have no clue how you would even go about teaching a dog that unless they already like to dig..?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• LOL I don't know either, that's why I have to talk to my SIL! It would be so much easier (and cheaper) than pad training though. We can't train her to go outside until next summer.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• potty pads! Our small dog took to them super easy, cheaper and less messy than litter.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• We're using the training pads right now. They're annoying as heck and expensive.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Yuk... I would just keep a routine, and take the dog out. Dogs like to sniff, and explore, and walking is good exercise....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• It's too cold here and she's too small to go out to train regularly. She's barely 1 pound and will barely get to 5 lbs.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have chihuahuas too. All of mine are paper trained and I use newspaper. It's cheap and I have friends and family save me their papers so I have a lot on hand. My dogs don't like to be outside (especially in the cold) and taking your new puppy outside in the cold isn't a good idea. Plus it's nice to be able to go out and not have to worry about taking your dog/dogs outside.

That would be awesome though to litter train your dog.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• you can buy the potty pads in bulk, or try one of those grass pads, that you can empty. I have had small breed dogs my entire life, and have never been able to litter train one, in reality changing the litter is almost as expensive as the potty pads. I got a pack of 100 pads at Target for around $10
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Potty Pads.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2012