Tamales steamer pot?

I really want to make tamales (first time for me) and I have found a number of recipes I want to try, but I don't have a fancy steamer pot, any tips or ideas on what I can use instead? I have a big pot, just not a steam basket TIA

Asked by cassie_kellison at 8:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Wow, I never made them in a steamer pot. When my grandparents were alive, we'd make 35 or 40 dozen every year for the holidays, but we just cooked them in big roasters.

Answer by Ballad at 9:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I do have a tamale pot, but you can use any steamer. There are very simple ones that open like a basket and fit in any pot.

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Idk, but I'll give you a bump.

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• You need a steamer basket. Although in a pinch you could invert a large plate at the bottom of the pot. My mom taught me that. The tamale pots at Walmart come with a steamer basket in them and cost about $19. Good luck on your tamales - One day I will attempt them.

Answer by booklover545 at 6:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I've actually taken a tin pie plate, punched a few holes in it and put it upside down on the bottom of a pot to steam them. A steamer pot is easiest, but in a pinch.....

Answer by ohwrite at 9:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2012