Tamales steamer pot?

I really want to make tamales (first time for me) and I have found a number of recipes I want to try, but I don't have a fancy steamer pot, any tips or ideas on what I can use instead? I have a big pot, just not a steam basket TIA

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 8:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Wow, I never made them in a steamer pot. When my grandparents were alive, we'd make 35 or 40 dozen every year for the holidays, but we just cooked them in big roasters.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I do have a tamale pot, but you can use any steamer. There are very simple ones that open like a basket and fit in any pot.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Idk, but I'll give you a bump.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• You need a steamer basket. Although in a pinch you could invert a large plate at the bottom of the pot. My mom taught me that. The tamale pots at Walmart come with a steamer basket in them and cost about $19. Good luck on your tamales - One day I will attempt them.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I've actually taken a tin pie plate, punched a few holes in it and put it upside down on the bottom of a pot to steam them. A steamer pot is easiest, but in a pinch.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2012