Help a sister get some sleep! Baby sleeps great all day- but at night not so much!

I know this is totally normal and "sleep when the baby sleeps" just doesn't work during the day for me. I have my 3 year old and I love spending time with her! Aaaand "forget the housework" yeah- i forgot the housework for the first week and this place could have been condemned! I swept, vacuumed and mopped today and it literally took hours.

Plus it's raining and the kitties tracked mud everywhere! Little pawprints painted on the floor!

OK- off topic I went.

Any suggestions for having baby sleep better at night? She's not necessarily awake all night- she just complains until I pick her up. During the day she doesn't complain when she gets put down- maybe because of all the background noise? Maybe music at night, or have the tv on?

Hi everyone btw. I'm sleep deprived!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Music at night isn't a bad idea. I sang DS to sleep when he was a baby, then put on some classical music to play while he slept. It seemed to help some. Good to hear from you!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Okay I know this is silly, but my daughter swore by this. The baby has it's days and nights mixed up, so you are supposed to turn them counter-clockwise. I know, I know... but she swears it worked! Try it... I know I would have tried anything in those days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• 1) try a co-sleeping - they make bed attachments if you are worried and can swing it.
    2)white noise could help but chances are your LO just has her days and nights all befuddled.
    3) try to keep her awake more during the day despite her wished. Attempt a feed wake sleep pattern. It could take a while to get her into that pattern on her own though
    4)If possible call in the reserves! Do you have a friend or relative who would be willing to help you with the older one to let you rest more during the day- at least here and there to catch up?
    5)Keep up the good work!! You have made it this far!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• :) We have been co sleeping but the more sleep deprived I become- the less I want to fall asleep by her- I am just TOO tired it's at the point where I don't think it's safe. If I have to have her in the bed I'll wake up to breastfeed then fall asleep as far away from her as I can.

She's been great! She doesn't cry or fuss barely at all. Which is another point I'm going to bring up to the pediatrician, she is TOO good and sleeps TOO much!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Have you taught her the difference between night and day? If you feed her during the night make sure you don't talk to her, sing to her or anything else that might simulate her. Leave the lights off and don't change her diaper unless she's pooped. My twins were both sleeping through the night at 3 months, good luck.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Yeah I do all that. =P
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I didn't use one with my daughter, but what about those baby slings? I guess you can carry your baby around (and hopefully keep her awake) while you do housework and hang out with your older girl.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have a sling, i can see if that wakes her up. she might just be thrilled if i held her all day! lol. i have an ergo with infant insert i havent tried out yet
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Hi staci! I have nothing to add but HUGS!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• You already know there is NO way to make a baby sleep when she doesn't want to. No way on earth.

Sleep when the baby sleeps anyway. TO HELL WITH THE HOUSEWORK! As long as you can escape in the even of an emergency it DOES NOT MATTER!

Make a game of picking up with your three year old. Don't worry about vacuuming and scrubbing. No one worth being ever had "World's Greatest Housekeeper" on her tombstone.

NO MOPPING. Dad does it or leave it undone. No one will die from an unmopped floor.

Paper plates. Plastic utensils. And make dad do most of the work. You just got hit by a bus; you're exempt.

And admission to see the baby is one of three things: Chore, casserole or taking the three year old off your hands for an afternoon so you can get some sleep. Exemptions only granted to those too young or too old to comply with the requirement.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2012