Kids diet and bad behavior????

I can read articles til I'm blue in the face....has anyone ever personally had experience with amid who acts out violently, etc and what they were eating?? My daughter is 4 and is just horrible sometimes....she has such aggression and anger at times....I do a lot of things for and with her...she is not spoiled, doesn't sit in front of the tv all day and doesn't eat suga.r...this is just a diet question please... I've heard of food coloring, gluten, dairy, etc.im wondering who has had success with changing their child's diet....

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 9:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in General Parenting

• Try and see.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Red 40 makes my 10yo DD crazy - like beyond hyper crazy. I think fiatpax is the mom who has a LOT to say on this subject - she's a good one to ask/talk to!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• My kids both have ADHD, and I know that there are certain foods and certain ingredients (dyes, artificial flavors, preservatives, etc.) that can make their symptoms way worse than they would otherwise be. So I would imagine that it's entirely possible that something in a child's diet could contribute to violence and agression. I'd be inclined to think there might already be something there for that food to build on, but it wouldn't necessarily be an out of control kind of thing. Do you have a suspicion of something specific already? If so, I'd immediately cut it and see what happens. If you don't have a suspicion, I'd start cutting the artificial stuff as much as possible, get as much fresh food as you can, make your own homemade treats with healthier ingredients when you want those, and limit or cut out fast food and stuff like that, too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• lay of foods high in atrificial coloring and perservatives and non processed food and see if it makes a difference, and also watch sugar intake and I dont mean just candy, sugar is in everything!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Send a pm to fiatpax
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I think diet is important. It's true that there are a lot of problem ingredients in some food (artificial flavorings, artificial colors, cheap sweeteners, hydrogenated fats, nitrates & nitrites, preservatives), particularly in heavily processed foods.
    CM member fiatpax frequently posts links about the Feingold diet & how eliminating artificial additives & unhealthy ingredients can improve a child's functioning, therefore her behavior. (Think of it as a coping issue.)
    Some of the things you mention (gluten, dairy) have to do with potential sensitivities or food intolerances. If these exist for your child, then identifying them can make a big difference in your child's physical experience (because you've stopped repeat exposure to regular irritants!) which again, can improve behavior as a result.
    I think aggression & anger in this age generally reflects frustration, so shifting routine responses to the child can help regardless.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I fully believe that diet and behavior are related. I've done a ton a research on the subject-both as a mother and a health teacher.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2012