Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Afraid but not sure what else to try (ADHD?)

I just fee inadequate in every area of my life. I have no self control as a other, I feel my kids run wild half the time!!
Iam thinking I may have adult ADD and the thought of medication scares me, but what scares me even further is he thought of going it without meds and trying to change our diet and try other avenues. It seems overwhelming!!! Also what if I don't have adhd at all and it is something ele (manic depression/bipolar or depression) what if the doc gets it wrong? Also scared my son may have add. Mostly because i have come from the thoughts that... add is caused b behaviors (too much tv for example) and my husband too. Please no mean comments!


Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • So what are you trying exactly? Frankly I would simply make an appointment with my Doctor if I thought I suffered from ADD OR depression/bipolar/ and get an evaluation done.

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

  • Sounds like you need to see a doctor, organizer your life and build more structure and routine to houserules. You sound overwhelmed amid anxious so perhaps it's as simple as anxiety. I wouldn't diagnose yourself and cause needless worry. Being a mom is hard so please see a doctor. A happy mom is a happy home!

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

  • These disorders you are worrying about are medical problems with specific symptoms, causes, and treatments. They're not interchangeable, and they're not a matter of too much TV, feeling overwhelmed or inadequate, or letting your kids run wild. Stop worrying and make an appointment with your doctor. If you check out fine medically, then write down a list of changes you would like to see in your family life--less TV, more structure, more discipline, and tackle one issue at a time.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

  • You just need to get an evaluation done. Find a good psychiatrist and get to the bottom of this. I had to go through a few therapists before I found one who got me. Everyone else just wanted to label me with depression and give me meds. I was so addicted to effexor that I couldn't stop it and I wasn't feeling better, I just got worse.

    Finally a therapist evaluated me for just about everything, trying to rule things out. The only thing she couldn't rule out was ADHD. I tried meds for that and didn't like being a zombie, so I've tried other things, but always on the advice of a therapist. There are behavior modification type things that can help, but it is a lot of trial and error finding what works right for you.

    Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

  • See a psychiatrist and get diagnosed. If someone is mistakenly diagnosed with ADHD and they don't have it and are put on medication, they will be hyper (it will have the exact opposite effect and instead of calming them down it will make them more hyper). Don't be afraid of medication. If it doesn't work, there are many different types to try and you can always just stop taking them. My dd and I both have ADHD and medication has worked wonders along with therapy.

    Answer by Nos4 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

  • First, ADHD is NOT caused by behaviors (nor is ADD)! It affects behavior. Big difference.

    Second, the illnesses you are describing are actually quiet different in their diagnostic criteria and should only be properly evaluated/diagnosed by a trained and liscensed psychiatrist. I would suggest making an appointment. They will more then likely do testing before giving you meds and most will ask you for you opinion as to what to try before starting treatment. There are other treatments that can be more affective then pills in some people. Just stay positive and get the help you need.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2012