I tried to breastfeed and just couldn't, now I'm depressed about it..

I had my first child at 17 and was too immature I guess to want to try it. But I'm older now and really had my sights on breastfeeding my baby. I tried and tried at the hospital but he wouldn't latch. The nurses tried to help me and I asked for the lactation consultant but it was the weekend, and no one ever showed up to help me. :(

I got my milk in 4 days later and I was so happy, I thought maybe he would like it better now that it's actual milk. I had to use a shield to get him to latch but then I was seriously breastfeeding 24/7 it was like he was never full, and I have a 4 year old I have to take care of too.

My milk has almost dried up and it's been 3 weeks since I've stopped, but I'm still really sad about it and my husband doesn't see the big deal and isn't helping. I feel like I should have tried harder. Do you think I gave up too soon? I tried breastfeeding for a week but I felt like I was starving him.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try the bottle. it is beter to eat
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2014

• i would try pumping at the vary least you could give the baby your breast milk in a bottle!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I BF for 2 months, sometimes supplementing with formula since he was colic and had a sleep disorder and apparently HATED my milk, he had no problem actually latching, my milk came out find, but he physically unlatched up to 30 times per feeding, causing air gas belly aches and cried the whole time.. when My mom finally convinced me this was not normal, it took me months to stop crying, I felt like a failure that I could provide food for my own child.. it happens mama, we can't all be super mom's or have the babies take to it - we have to live too!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• A relative of mine nursed first and then gave formula at every feeding because she just wasn't producing enough breast milk. It worked out beautifully. It's just one idea. No matter what you decide remember that loving the baby and cuddling when feeding are most important ...............and there is no such thing as the perfect mom, but a million ways to be the greatest mom for your children. hugs!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• It took my son a month to get it right with his birth I wilson had pain meds was not allowed to move other than to go per I was induced and h'ad an epidural. I blame my troubles with his latch on birth interventions. Our feedings usually lasted an hour or. Or more because I had to stop and or correct his latch so often. My daughter was a breeze. As for next time if you have more kids spend your pregnancy finding Breastfeeding support because your husband obviously is not good in that department. You can call yo ur local 211and they will give you all kinds of resources as well as your local Wic office. Sorry it didnt work out but there is no sense in being upset for not atleast baby is alive and happy
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 11:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would suggest getting a supplemental feeding system and give the formula/pumped milk through that. Without stimulation the breasts will not start to produce more and with an SNS you are giving your child the nutrition they need along with stimulating your breasts to produce more. Google relactation and good luck momma. It is very normal to feel like you are nursing non stop in the first few weeks and during growth spurts later on too. Just the nature of things. If you can take a nursing vacation (spend a weekend snuggled in bed skin to skin with your little on nursing constantly).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group. You can have baby on the breast full time again within a couple of days; we've helped lots of moms with it. The only real problem I read here is a lack of info. And a lack of a sling...required equipment when you have more than one, or you have to return a child. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I definitely will. Thank you ladies!
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Friend is wrong. Boobs are always producing. Pumping can never take all the milk. Lol. I would definitely keep them stimulated.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• A pump will never be as good as a baby at stimulating milk. What I was told to do was pump after feedings. But I don't want to steer you wrong, in case things have changed or I wasn't doing it right. If you go on the La Leche League site, you can put in your Zip code and find people to talk to locally.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2012