I tried to breastfeed and just couldn't, now I'm depressed about it..

I had my first child at 17 and was too immature I guess to want to try it. But I'm older now and really had my sights on breastfeeding my baby. I tried and tried at the hospital but he wouldn't latch. The nurses tried to help me and I asked for the lactation consultant but it was the weekend, and no one ever showed up to help me. :(

I got my milk in 4 days later and I was so happy, I thought maybe he would like it better now that it's actual milk. I had to use a shield to get him to latch but then I was seriously breastfeeding 24/7 it was like he was never full, and I have a 4 year old I have to take care of too.

My milk has almost dried up and it's been 3 weeks since I've stopped, but I'm still really sad about it and my husband doesn't see the big deal and isn't helping. I feel like I should have tried harder. Do you think I gave up too soon? I tried breastfeeding for a week but I felt like I was starving him.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Google re lactation. Www.kellymom.com

It is so not too late!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• If your milk is not completely dried up, it may not be too late. The baby's sucking can stimulate lactation. You could try calling the La Leche League. I am sorry that the lactation consultant never showed up. Another thing you could try is a product called the Lact-Aid. It's a little pouch and tube system. You put formula in the pouch and run the tube up to your nipple. The baby is getting fed, and you have the bonding experience that you would get from breastfeeding.

I think it's great that you tried. Don't beat yourself up. I adopted both of my kids and felt very guilty for not trying to stimulate lactation until I learned that the quality of the milk is not as good when there was no pregnancy.

Your baby is getting fed and you will bond anyway, whatever decision you end up making. Congratulations on your new little guy!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• If you try relactation, go to www.motherlove.com and look up More Milk Plus. It can help you produce more breastmilk. If you decide not to try, then realize that guilt is unproductive. Conentrate on bonding with your baby as you bottle feed and in other ways. Millions and millions of babies are raised on formula and do just fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Thanks ladies! I think I am going to try again in a couple days after I read some more about this. I really wish my husband would be supportive of this, I'm scared to tell him I want to try again, I'm afraid he might try to dissuade me from doing it. :( But he knows it is important to me.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Your husband cant lactate so he cant understand. Us women understand and support you fully! If you want to breastfeed then make it happen chickadee! Pump and drink lactation tea and get that baby latched on good! Call the hospital. They can schedule you with the lactation specialist. LLL will help over the phone too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I had to supplement all the way along because no matter what I did, I just absolutely couldn't make enough milk. I felt guilty for a long while, but eventually I got to the place where I knew I was doing the best I could, and it was enough. My baby got every drop of breastmilk I could give her, and again, it was enough. With a four-year-old to care for, I would seriously consider getting one of the hands free pumps, though, expensive as they are. Your older child might not take to well to losing his mama to a pump for 20 minutes every few hours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• I have an electric pump, but I've never used it. My friend who breastfeeds told me not to pump at all because then I wouldn't have enough for the baby. Is that even true? If i use the pump every hour, will that build my supply up again?
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• A pump will never be as good as a baby at stimulating milk. What I was told to do was pump after feedings. But I don't want to steer you wrong, in case things have changed or I wasn't doing it right. If you go on the La Leche League site, you can put in your Zip code and find people to talk to locally.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Friend is wrong. Boobs are always producing. Pumping can never take all the milk. Lol. I would definitely keep them stimulated.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I definitely will. Thank you ladies!
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2012