To immunize or not?

My 9 year old daughter is fully up to date on all of her immunizations. The only vaaccine that I had issues with having her get was the chicken pox vaccine. Both her father and I got the chicken pox in our teens and we both were really sick. He ended up with meningitus. So I wanted her to get the pox at a young age and get it over with. I put off that vaccine until she was almost 5 and it was "required" for school. Right before I registered her for kindergarten I got her all the immuntizations that she needed. When I went to register her 26 days later I was told that she needed a second chicken pox vaccine. I wasn't happy (neither was she) but we got her the second shot and got her signed up for school. Now shes in 4th grade and I get a phone call from the nurse at her school saying that their was a problem with her immunization records. They said that her MMR shot and chicken pox shot were given too close together ( the required length between shots is 28 days she got them 26 days apart) and she needs to get them both again. I told the nurse that I refuse to give her the chicken pox shot again. But I'm concerned about the MMR. I still need to talk to the Dr. but I'm just wondering if you would get your child an MMR shot for the third time?

Crzymom010203

Asked by Crzymom010203 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• We don't do any at all with our kids. You can sign the waiver until you are ready *if* you want to do more. Obviously I'd discourage any more though.

GL!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Wow, trust your doctor on that one. But it seems to me that three years later, it's just a matter of school rules and paperwork, and I'd refuse if that's the case.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Wow, 2 days makes that big a difference? Have you done any research on this? That is what I usually do when I have this kind of issue. I really don't know what I would do other than just research and then decide.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I'd have the doc do a quick blood test to test for immunities,and when it came back fine,I'd tell the school to kiss my ass,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Unfortunately since you choose to vaccinate the school can tell you tough since the required time is 28 days and you had them given 26 days apart. Telling them tough doesn't work because they will just not allow your child in school. You likely cannot get an exemption as the first poster suggested because you do/did vaccinate and some states are very strict about their religious exemptions (if they even have one). I would talk with the doc and see what he says. If the doc says she is fine get a letter stating that and go to the school and try to get a medical exemption which all states allow. Good luck. Two days does not make that much of a difference but for the paperwork it does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Talk to your doctor about your concerns about giving the shots again. It's possible that you may be able to satisfy the school by using titres to document immunity. (Your doctor would get this info from bloodwork that would confirm the presence of antibodies to the specific diseases in question.) The school records issue aside, I think it's important to have that information (antibody titres) before consenting to a repeat vaccination. (If, for example, vaccine records were lost or if you disputed their accuracy because something you remembered her getting was not recorded, then titres from antibody testing would be prudent as a first response before considering repeat or additional vaccinations.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Just call the Pediatrician & have them talk to the School nurse & let you know what to do. I had the MMR shot more than 3 times. Twice in elementary & once for College.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Generally they can do a titer and see if she has enough immunization to the MMR. I wouldn't want to re-immunize either.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I don't vaccinate anymore. My family has had allergic reactions.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2012