Who knew?

I just read that today is the 20th anniversary of the first text message. I wonder if the parties involved then knew how much the world would soon change.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Technology

• I would have never guessed texting has been available that long. I started texting a little over 2 years ago.

Funny story: Last Sunday during children's church the pastor was talking to the kids about communicating. She holds up a cell phone and asks the children, all under 10, what kind of ways can we communicate with this? Texting was the first answer which they almost all said in unison, then video chat, skyping, email etc. She kept asking "what other ways?". Finally after several minutes one of the younger children says..TALKING ON THE PHONE, making a phone call. I thought it was funny.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I am not a fan of texting. It seems to have replaced talking. I don't think my daughter and her friends ever talk on the phone it is almost all texting. Not a good thing. People have enough trouble communicating with each other.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I agree wholeheartedly, Booklover. My stepdaughter and her friend were texting each other last year at Thanksgiving--while sitting next to each other at the same dinner table! I thought it was incredibly rude and wondered that her parents allowed it.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2012