Toddler self-weened?

Two months ago my little family went to visit my mother. At the time dd (who was 20 mo) was breastfeeding only at nap-time and bed-time. I had already allowed myself to be pressured into getting her down to only those nursing times, which I now regret. I was determined to allow her to self-ween no matter how much crap our families gave me (or how much whining I got from SO). In the middle of our trip I went to put dd down for her nap (she seemed to be having no issue with bedtime or naptime in a new place) and tried to nurse. She smiled when I offered but pushed me/it away. I told her it was time to nap and offered again. This time she did a lazy latch and actually nipped me a bit. I said "oww!" and told her in a firm voice that we don't bite mommy and if she did it again we would be doing nap time without any nurse time. I offered again, she pushed away, and I put the boob away. She got upset about that and smiled when I took it back out but just wouldn't take it. She rolled around, chatted a bit, and finally fell asleep. That night was the same except she didn't even care that I put it away. She didn't want it and fell asleep without it.

Now its been like this ever since. I kind of like just being able to snuggle her and not use my sensitive nipples but I can't shake the thought that this is a bit early for self-weening. Part of me is just saying to leave it be and be glad that the weening stage went so smoothly but the other part.... I don't know she is doing so well sleeping on her own I don't want to screw that up. Maybe I should start pumping again (ugh!) and just give her that in a cup.

What do you think? Did my kid genuinely self-ween or did I just not recognize a nursing-block or something? Maybe it was because the only-at-sleep-times thing was pushed so hard?

Nicky2911

Asked by Nicky2911 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had one that self weened at 13 months and one that was almost 3 years old and when they are done, thye are done.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012