Toddler self-weened?

Two months ago my little family went to visit my mother. At the time dd (who was 20 mo) was breastfeeding only at nap-time and bed-time. I had already allowed myself to be pressured into getting her down to only those nursing times, which I now regret. I was determined to allow her to self-ween no matter how much crap our families gave me (or how much whining I got from SO). In the middle of our trip I went to put dd down for her nap (she seemed to be having no issue with bedtime or naptime in a new place) and tried to nurse. She smiled when I offered but pushed me/it away. I told her it was time to nap and offered again. This time she did a lazy latch and actually nipped me a bit. I said "oww!" and told her in a firm voice that we don't bite mommy and if she did it again we would be doing nap time without any nurse time. I offered again, she pushed away, and I put the boob away. She got upset about that and smiled when I took it back out but just wouldn't take it. She rolled around, chatted a bit, and finally fell asleep. That night was the same except she didn't even care that I put it away. She didn't want it and fell asleep without it.

Now its been like this ever since. I kind of like just being able to snuggle her and not use my sensitive nipples but I can't shake the thought that this is a bit early for self-weening. Part of me is just saying to leave it be and be glad that the weening stage went so smoothly but the other part.... I don't know she is doing so well sleeping on her own I don't want to screw that up. Maybe I should start pumping again (ugh!) and just give her that in a cup.

What do you think? Did my kid genuinely self-ween or did I just not recognize a nursing-block or something? Maybe it was because the only-at-sleep-times thing was pushed so hard?

Nicky2911

Asked by Nicky2911 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She probably really did self-wean. Mine did at ten months. I know, that's way too young, but she just did it. Lost all interest. I was having to supplement with bottles of formula and also pump, so maybe the bottle was easier and she'd just had it with nursing. But the signals were very clear, just as they seem to be with your daughter. At that age, she's probably getting most of her nutrition from other food sources and it wouldn't seem beneficial to me to start pumping and givning the breastmilk in a cup. You're on to bigger and better things, Mama!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• To early? She is 2years old! How are they supose to be to self ween?

Answer by louise2 at 5:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Yes, it sounds like she self-weened. I would let it go. With a variety of sources for nutrition she is listening to her body. Good for you that she has learned that.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Yes, it sounds like she self-weaned. 22 months is an incredible time already ! My son self-weaned at 14 month old.
    Time to change your nap and night routine. :)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 6:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• yes its nature taking its course, she weened herself, and thats not a young age to do that.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• While 20 months is a little young it is not outside the norm for self weaning and stress or disruptions in routine can make it go quicker. My son was 18 months, but I was also pregnant and he told me yucky one day and while I continued to offer for 2 weeks he refused every time. My youngest on the other hand weaned at 35 months. Congrats on making it that long. That is a huge accomplishment especially without support. If you are worried about it then try offering again and see what happens.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I haven't read all the responses, but I wouldn't say she is weaned until she doesn't nurse for several months. My daughter sometimes went a week without nursing and other times (especially if feeling sick) she would nurse a couple times a day. I would say keep offering and see what happens.

Congratulations at making it this long!! You've done a great job! (And it might not be over yet!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Self weaning can happen at ANY time after the first birthday. Timing was actually quite perfect here. Relax. If she never nurses again you're still perfect.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Sounds like self weaning to me. That's the exact same think both my kids did at 9 months old. If she's going to sleep just fine on her own you're not screwing her up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• mine stopped at seven months. i was going back to school to get my ged so i had to pump and the sitter gave it to her in a bottle.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2012