Shipping Cookies...?!

What is the best way to ship homemade cookies? I've seen something in an ad, but I can't remember what it is. Any suggestions for shipping cookies? If it matters...it's going from AL to TX.

paige8608

Asked by paige8608 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Food & Drink

• http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/11/fed-ex-tips-on-shipping-cookies/

Can't make this clickable, but it has some great information
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• When my grandmother still baked and shipped them to us, she used to put them in those rectangular shirt boxes. She'd put down a layer of tissue paper, then a layer of cookies, tissue paper, cookies, until the box was full. Then she'd tape the box closed, and she'd put the shirt boxes in a bigger box surrounded by that styrofoam popcorn. Every now and then we'd get a few broken cookies, but they were the kind of cookies that break anyway, so can't really blame the shipping method.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Dang it...I hit submit before I finished.

She would weigh the package (she had a kitchen scale that she would use for smaller amounts, or she'd go to the post office and ask them to tell her the weight) and then she'd find out how much USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. would charge to ship them and go with the cheapest, fastest one. The only exception to that was if she was also shipping Christmas presents - then she'd put the cookies in with them and send it all by UPS.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• A sturdy container that will keep the cookies from moving about
    a slice of bread to keep the cookies from drying out
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I like to use a tin, and if the cookies are delicate, I layer them with a thin bubble wrap. Some cookies are sturdier, and I don't worry about it. I tape down the sides, and ship. Definitely pack the cookies tightly.

I don't ship cookies that need refrigerated. I generally pick cookies like Butterballs, cinnamon swirls, cookies that aren't too crumbly, and that keep for days without getting stale.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My sister uses tins. They seem to work.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I used to ship cookies in the metal coffee cans because they were airtight. Pick sturdy cookies like ginger snaps or peanut butters that won't break easily.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I just went to mail boxes to go they know just what to do, or you can get a box and buy bubble wrap like they do and take it to the post office. Some want to see what is in them, mine know me and I tease them yes I brought a bomb this place is dead anyway. But I can get away with it as they know me, yeah I am this big scary lady NOT!
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2012