How soon is it safe to ttc again after a pregnancy?

My doctor gave some sort of vague "when your body is ready" type answer without an actual timeline. I've tried reading up on it, but every site and every "expert" says something different. I've read everything from "after the post partum period is over" to "18 months."

Has anyone's doctors given them something more definitive, or are the risks relatively minimal so nobody cares to place an actual number on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Trying to Conceive

• I believe your body will get pregnant when it wants to. As for risks I read that there is a great chance of things like autism and such the more. And closer pregnancies are.
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 9:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Hmmm. I had never heard about the autism thing. Interesting. We are not planning to try just yet, but we do want another and I am trying to determine when it might be feasible to start thinking about it. My son is five months old, so not any time TOO soon obviously. I know I CAN get pregnant whenever my body feels like it, in theory, but I don't want to up my chance of miscarriage or other complications by doing it too soon.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My OB tols me to wait at least a year but before 5 years.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• There isn't a definitive calendar answer. Though I do remember my own doc saying two years from delivery of the first. Not because of miscarriage but to reduce mom's risk of serious illness...even death.

It makes for a good three year spacing and I've observed that three years seems to be pretty ideal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My youngest was 9 mo in agust when I got pregnant again. Im a bit nervous about having them so close but after speaking to my pedi who has two 17 months apart I have been reassured. That they will be great playmates once they are both playing
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• 2 years is best gap between two babies.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 10:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I've been told 1-2 years
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would say at least a year. I got pregnant when youngest DS was 5 months old and miscarried and then miscarried again when he was 11 months old. Now 3 and a half years later I have what seems to be a successful pregnancy.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I was told at least a year, but two is better. That is time from birth of first child to conception of next child.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Okay, so the 18 months recommended by the March of Dimes seems to be closest to the general consensus. I know of people who have done it sooner successfully, but I also know of people who have not waited long enough and had complications. Nobody said it was because they got pregnant again too soon, but it's still something to consider. We want a large family, so spacing seems important when it comes to having them before my fertility takes a nosedive and my risk for complications rises. Although, I have a good ten years to think of that I think.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2012