Is it okay to sell my daughter's toys w/out giving her the money?

My dd is 7, we are moving into a smaller apartment in a few monthes. She has so much stuff thanks to Grandpa. We are tight on money right now and need to unload some of this stuff anyways. It's stuff she hardly plays with, but the second you say your are getting rid of it, it's suddendly her favorite toy again...

I feel odd about selling her stuff and her not get something from it. But she has enough stuff anyways and we need to get rid of it, no sense in her buying new stuff with the money since we need the room.

I am thinking about telling her that the money we get from it is going to the Disney vaction later this year. Do you think that would be ok?

vampjaded

Asked by vampjaded at 8:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you bought the toys, the money should be yours.
    Anonymous

• if she bought the toys yes it would be wrong but I seriously doubt she bought any.

the disney vacation is a great idea though because she does get something out of it.
    Anonymous

• i would give her a portion of it. jmo.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I do. I have a yard sale every year to get rid of some of their stuff. My oldest 2 are 9yo an d8yo. Last summer they said that they should get the money from their toys because they owned them. I told them no. I do all the work, I sift through the stuff, I price the stuff, I get up early and set up the sale, I work the sale, I clean up the sale which means that I get the money. If they want to help with all of that work then I would give them 1/5 of what I get for their stuff. However, since they are still young children, the parent gets the money as the rule.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree that is not necessarily fair that she shouldn't get anything out of it. I like the Idea of putting it towards the vacation. I would also ask her if there is anything that she would like to sell to put towards the vacation.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• What about getting them out of sight first, if she has so many she won't miss them? that is what i would do. you can also do the sharing lesson, tell her they are for kids who don't have toys, and she can share hers. might help
    december911

Answer by december911 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We donate all of my son's toys. He gets nothing for them. Our kids are about the same age. She will be fine. If it's something she earned the money to buy, yeah she should get something for selling it...but otherwise, she doesn't need the money, IMO.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• She doesn't NEED the money.

You brought the toys right? So why does she need something in return for you selling them? This is a good time to teach her that if she does something, she won't always get something in return.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It's her stuff regardless if you paid for it or not. How would you like if your husband sold something of yours and said the money was going for vacation? Or simply kept it because you didn't need it at that moment. She will need it eventually. At least put the money in her bank account.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If we were talking about a teen or adult then I would agree with Chrissy but being that she is 7yo, there is no reason that she should be entitled to the money. Personally I think that you are being very generous in putting what you make towards a vacation. I tell my kids that it is going to keep the water and power on which for us is the truth.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009