How to time contractions?

OK might sound silly but what is the proper way to time contractions? Should I be timing them from when they start to when they start? Should I be timing them from when they end to when they start? Just a bit confused on the proper way don't want to get this wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are some websites that help also keep track :-D:

http://baby2see.com/contractions_timer.html
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 8:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Time contractions from the beginning to the end of one, then how long it is in between.

Ex. My contractions are 2 minutes long and 10 minutes apart.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• From the start of one to the end of one, but you also want to know how long they are.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• OK so the last one started at 8:30 and lasted 3min and the one before that was at 8:22 and lasted 2.5 min how long should I keep timing these? How long should I wait to call someone?
    Anonymous

• Unless you have a high risk pregnancy my rule of thumb is the contractions need to be 4 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour before I even consider going to the hospital. But that's just me.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Thank you. I will use the timer and see. Really appreciate all your help.
    Anonymous

• There is a great site on the computer that you can go to that will help time your contractions for you. You just hit the space bar when one starts and hit it again when it is over. It worked great for me. I would definitely check it out. Darn I wish I could remember what it is called! You can google it. They probably have more than one.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Start of one to the start of the next. Knowing how long each one is will be good note as Peaches said, but you need to time starting at one contracitons to the start of the next to know how far apart they are.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• jacy3031 i think you are talking about contractionmaster.com. Life saver! It will tell you the begining and end of each contraction, how far apart they are and how long they are lasting. It's much easier then trying to concentrate when you are in pain. Good luck and Congratulations!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

8 minutes apart, 2.5-3 minutes long. I would suggest not timing them for a while, that is still far apart and not a typical labor pattern length. 4-1-1 is a great way to see if this is serious, too, as celticreverie explained.

When it seems like they are more frequent you could try again. I agree that the site for contractionmaster does seem to be good~ try it out. :-)

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009