How do you get rid of spiders in the house?

Is it because of the winter? I can't stand spiders!

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 11:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Spider removal system:

If I don't have that on hand I usesome incarnation of:

If I find a spider in my house it's dead. I can't stand the things. If I find a spider outside I freak out and run, screaming, the other way.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I usually let the spider be. They eat things that I don't want to know about. Plus they keep the cats entertained.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• As long as our paths don't cross, spiders may live in my house. If I see them though, they die a horrible death.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• We have our house sprayed by a professional once a year, usually in July or August, and we seldom see varmints of any kind.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I like my Spiders. I even have a pet one living in the corner in my bathroom. He's about 2 years old now & only comes out at night. BTW, spiders only like to live in clean homes & mine is spotless.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Depends on how big it is and what kind it is. I like the daddy long legs (haven't seen one since visiting my mom in Montana) and won't kill those, and they eat other spiders so I consider them a friend. A friend I don't want to touch or really see if I don't have to. Otherwise, if they are small I vacuum them up and if they are large I kill them with a shoe usually and then pick them up with a tissue and flush them or toss it in the trash.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I generally don't worry about them too much- but I don't tend to see many either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My husband vacuums to get rid of the cobwebs and takes the spiders with it :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• There's something that comes off the trees around here that we call "Monkey brains" that we put in our basement. Something about the oder keeps them away. Don't ask me what the actual name is but they're about 4 inches around, green and look like brains.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I keep spiders around. They usually don't live long and they're beneficial. They eat other bugs that are less benign.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2012