I Found a field mouse!

It's getting colder! Is it time to worry about mice? What brings them in? This is my first time!!!
Do I get an exterminator or just use mouse traps?
What do/would you do?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 11:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I just set traps. The glue ones I think are cruel. Basically the mouse gets stuck. They then either chew off limbs trying to get out or strave to death. With the traps one snap and they're dead. Yeah I have to clean up the mess but I don't have to listen to them sqeeking away.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Sounds cruel, but glue traps work well for me. The mice we have had have all occurred when lots were being cleared for construction.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• We've had one before and when I was in an apartment years ago we got them often. My dh sets traps. But you also might want to look around to see if you can find where it got in. When I was in the apartment I was an end unit and there was a hole in the side where the dryer vented to the outside, then they chewed a hold through the "paper" dryer tube. I had to get a heavy duty dryer tube and put some wire netting over the dryer vent.

Answer by missanc at 11:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Glue traps and a cat or two. What brings them in? Chaos outside cold weather and or lack of food. Why do they come in? Plenty of food lack of chaos warmer than outside.
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 11:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Were it me, I would simply capture him and put him outside after I had found how he was getting in. However, I totally get that I'm weird that way.

If you feel the need to trap, I would use the snap kind. Less cruel, imo
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I have always checked glue daily. When I caught something you put the whole trap in a bag tie it off and toss in the freezer. No squeeking no chewing no mice. Then either break frozen mouse off and toss it reuse gllue pad once it has thawed or put down a new one. I dont like snap traps because I have small children that seem to find them if they are in the house
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 11:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• DH prefers snap traps, I prefer glue traps (I won't empty a snap trap, he can't give the mouse to the dog if it's in a glue trap). I've heard that putting moth balls around the foundation of your house (on the inside) keeps them from coming in and it did work for us. DH also went around the foundation, inside and out, with a can of foam insulation and filled in any and all spots that anything could get in (as we also had a snake get in one time). Thankfully we've never had more than 2 mice at 1 time, thought usually it's said that if you find 1, there's 10 more you can't see.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Oh - good places to put traps is right on the edges of doorways and heat registers. If you have any pet food in the house, move it to an outside spot or put it in a sealed storage tub (first time we had a mouse was after moving dog treats from the garage to the house). Peanut butter on the trap is a better lure than cheese. And I just (literally, just as I was typing this) saw a commercial for dcon mouse traps, something it goes in and is killed but you throw the whole thing away - not sure how much they'd cost.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would try mousetraps first, if you can stand to empty them. Don't set them with cheese, though. It's a myth that mice like cheese. Use peanut butter, which is sticky and will keep them at the trap long enough to get caught. Or, those little Halloween candy corns also work well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Get a cat if you possibly can or borrow one! Their smell repels mice and if you're anywhere with field mice, they are must have. The only time I ever had mice in the house, was once in the attic and no one goes up there, so I used those little bait pellet boxes. I would never use poison in the main house, too interesting to kids and other pets.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2012