SSI

Has anyone here applied for SSI and, if so, how many times did you apply before you were approved?

If you were approved can you tell me for what condition? (Anon is just fine; I'm just trying to get an idea of the process)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Money & Work

• In my line of work, I have helped many people apply for SSI. They were never approved the first time, always have to appeal it, (I think that's pretty much standard), and build their case with doctor and hospital records, along with their failed attempts to work. The ones who were approved, were based on a variety of things from severe learning disorders that prevented them from working sufficiently to support themselves, to significant psychotic illnesses, to physical handicaps that could not be accomodated in the workplace...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I used to get SSI for my son. He was approved the first time, no problem. My ex applied numerous times over the course of 3 years (not sure exactly how many times). He had a heart attack and now has a degenerative heart condition, but he's more than capable of working (he goes canoeing several times/week, runs 5Ks, takes our kids to the beach, etc.) he just doesn't want to.

Answer by missanc at 11:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I was talking to a dad who lost his leg at our homeschooling park day last week. From what he said, denial the first time you apply is pretty much a given - I guess that's just the standard response. From the way he explained it all, it can often take up to 2-3 years before you get it. He did say that it's a really good idea to try to get all your paperwork ready before you apply - stuff from doctors that show you're disabled, your current income and bills, and all that kind of stuff.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Great answers and I thank you.

This is the 3rd time we have applied but the first time we've been told not enough was contributed to SS to qualify for SSD.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2012