Would you or did you have your other children in the delivery room?

Is this appropriate? At what age? Does the sex of the child matter?

What is your opinion?

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think I'd have a daughter there, maybe 12 and up? Probably never going to be in that position so I haven't given it much thought.

But I'd never have one of my sons in there, though...
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Nope not appropriate unless I had a daughter who was at least 16 or older.

Younger children don't belong there. I think its a terrible way to introduce a new sibling. "This little creature is causing MY mommy pain, and I'm supposed to like the thing? I don't think so!" is what I would imagine would be the thought process of a young child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• But I'd never have one of my sons in there, though...
    Answer by FreeForAll a minute ago

I agree, but what makes you feel this way? I have a friend that thought (delvering her 3rd) that both of her boys should be present, I think they were 3 and 4 at the time.
    amazinggrace83

Comment by amazinggrace83 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I did not and would not, no matter their ages.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Younger children don't belong there. I think its a terrible way to introduce a new sibling. "This little creature is causing MY mommy pain, and I'm supposed to like the thing? I don't think so!" is what I would imagine would be the thought process of a young child.
    Answer by Ginger0104 2 minutes ago

This is what I think too... I think it would be scary for them.
    amazinggrace83

Comment by amazinggrace83 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My opinion is unless the children are 17 or older & REALLY REALLY want to be there then Absolutely NOT! I think it's ridiculous to have small children there EVER.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I HAD to have my 2 yr old DD is the room. I was living in a state with no friends or family when I went into labor. When my then husband got there he was able to find a way to get her in the base daycare for a few hours while I had my son.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• ^^^^That is definitely an exception. You have to do what you have to do!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• OMG, I would NEVER bring children that young in!

And I'm not sure about the boy thing, grace. I'm just not comfortable with it.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• And I'm not sure about the boy thing, grace. I'm just not comfortable with it.
    Answer by FreeForAll a minute ago

I get it... I think my feeling is that is something they should experience with their wife, having THEIR OWN children, not seeing their brother born. If that makes sense. I just think my boys would freak out and that the situation is just uncomfortable.
    amazinggrace83

Comment by amazinggrace83 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2012